Copy this pirogue in SS&G | SouthernPaddler.com

Copy this pirogue in SS&G

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Copy this pirogue in strip, stitch, & glue.

We often say, no such thing as stupid questions so here’s a simple problem giving me fits. I’d like to duplicate this pirogue in SS&G. Probably the correct answer is to ask Matt to design it, and that’s probably where I’ll end up. He is a wizard at deciphering what we want and designing it. The JEM Crawdad has just about replaced this boat because it’s light weight and the crawdad has similar characteristics..

Any way I’m trying to expand my horizons. My first attempt was to “trace” and cut a roll of stiff cardboard floor protector in the shape of a side panel. Much harder than it looked. Also, it had so much flex the rainbow would change shape. Next I’m going to try to measure the side panel and loft it much like Matts stich and glue plans. Here’s the question, should the rocker measure be vertical to my plans sheet (table top) or in the plane of the side panel as shown by the masking taped ruler. There is a difference in the measurements. I’d just like to match the flare and concave bottom.

This has been my favorite afternoon fishing pirogue for about 30 years I just need it lighter weight. At 9’ 4’ -- it fits in the truck fine. In fact, I have 3 of them that stack in a pickup really good. I’d like to have plans our kids can use in years to come.

I’m asking for ideas and suggestions.

Andy

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Try Luan instead of cardboard. Make a panel a little longer and wider ( est. 12"x 10') than the boat's sides.Place one edge under the gunnel/rub rail and bend around the side to the stems. Trace a line along the bottom/chine and stems. This should show you the side panel shape.
I could not guess which measurement of the rocker to use for lofting. I would think the tape measure shows the actual rocker.
My son's "Lake Bistineau Pirogue"https://www.southernpaddler.com/community/threads/a-lake-bistineau-pirogue.9886/ was made similar to the boat you are duplicating. I did not bother to build it with the concave bottom.
His works very well. Paddles better than you would expect from such a shot boat. Very stable (comfortable) for fishing.
Very handy for loading and hauling. The short length makes it feel lighter than it is.
Are you keeping the concave floor? If so why?

bee

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Try tar paper (roofing felt/underlayment). Remember that neither the top edge of the side nor the bottom edge of the side is likely a straight edge, so don't try following either edge with the straight edge of what ever material you're using as a pattern. The sides of my boats resemble a banana when laid flat.

Same question as Bee, Why concave floor? If you run into a shallow muddy bottom, it'll create a vacuum that will be difficult to break. An old Chitimachi (sp?) Indian would build with convex bottoms so they would be easier to break vacuum. Maybe you don't run across mud flats.... Mud aside, concave will likely track better and convex will likely maneuver better

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Thanks Bee and Seedtick, I hoped both of you would answer as you are real builders. The banana shape I was aware of but not taking into account. The concave bottom? I guess because it's what is on this pirogue. I'll seriously consider changing. The slight v bottoms I have built do track better, and at some point I may return to LA and once again play in the mud and beaver dams!

We spent a fews days in Desoto Parish last week visiting with our kids. sure do miss that country especially this morning -6 degrees here and I'm not real excited about work outside.