Corned Beef on St Patties Day | SouthernPaddler.com

Corned Beef on St Patties Day

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

Droolin' on the keyboard here. We love corned beef. I like it best cold, on a sammich....with mustard, horseradish 'n lettuce 'er cole slaw. Mmmmm.....

regards
bearridge
bodine culinary institute

My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it. Abraham Lincoln

JEM

Well after review, it's not something we'll make except on maybe once in a while. Kids thought it was ham.

I might try corning my own next time. Found a recipe and method to do it at home.

I read corned beef isn't really all the Irish. WAYYYYYY back in the day, pork was the main staple and cattle were more about status than eatin'.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You might of done to much to it. Hard to improve on something that is good , but everyone tries and wrecks it.

We do it in the crock pot with some water (very little ) then when it is just about done add some sliced up cabbage over it. Take the cabbage out after it is cooked , then pull out the corn beef and clean off any fat.

Put each on it's own platter and have some boiled red potatoes or new potatoes with it....... The next day you have some good hash if you mix it together or just make a sandwich out of the meat. A little mustard on it does not hurt matters . the yeller mustard. Better if the bread is toasted. :D

Heck I like the hash with just the potatoes and cabbage and some of the drippings from the pot for the juice.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Matt,

I jest got back frum a visit with my Mom 'n my brother who moved down ta the sunshine state. She cooked a corned beef, jest the package of seasoning that comes with it 'n water. I had ta nibble. It wuz first rate.

She saves the water 'n cooks other stuff in it. We like ta steam our cabbage, but I reckon ya could boil it 'n taters.

regards
bearridge

Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut. unknown high school student

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
If I buy a real chunka corned beef, I simmer it per directions, but in beer.

If I want to eat corned beef and cabbage and don't care to fart around for hours, I open two cans of corned beef, throw on some garlic, onions, caraway, & dill, and maybe some more garlic.

I shred up how much ever cabbage I can stuff up under the lid and it still sorta stays down, pour a can of beer on it, cover as tightly as it will fit, and light the fire.

After it boils maybe 15-20 minutes, I eat. See, eating the stuff was the original objective.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
all the recipees sounds good. i like good ole cabbage my self. i know now though why the rest of u geezers make some sleep in the hensees outside . :) :lol: :lol: (cat)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
all the recipees sounds good. i like good ole cabbage my self. i know now though why the rest of u geezers make some sleep in the hensees outside . :) :lol: :lol: (cat)

It keeps the hammocks a rocking all night long , plus it kills any bugs in a 100 yards area . No sure about fellow campers and if they survive. :?

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cat........the so called experts blame fossil fuel emmisions for global warming. I suggest they put one of the air quality sample testors in Chucks hammock after he has a dinner with cabbage and beans. There the global warming truth lies.... :cry:

Jack, Your in for a treat on this upcoming trip. You will find out the true meaning of WMD's camping with Chuck! :shock: