Cracked Hull | SouthernPaddler.com

Cracked Hull

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
I dropped my pirogue yesterday trying to load in onto my Fulton hitch mount thingie. I got one end up onto the rack and began walking the other end around. Well, the thing began to torque. It was either sacrifice my back or sacrifice the boat. So I let the boat go and got out of the way as quickly as I could. SPLAT!

I'll try to get pictures up later. But here's the deal: (1)There is a big crack between the side and the bottom, thus there is a about a foot long stretch separating the side and the bottom. (2) Fore and aft ribs are broken at the joint. (3) Starborn side gunnel is separating at the bow.

Is something like this fixable or would it be better to plan on building another boat?

islandpiper

Funbun, you did the right thing. You can repair this damage a lot easier than you can take three days off work and find time every day for six months of physical therapy.

YOU BUILT IT, YOU CAN REPAIR IT.

Cut or grind back the glass and epoxy. Epoxy the broken joint and cracked wood.

Re-glass everything in the damage zone and make it a little thicker......more layers of mat or cloth. The broken rib connection/joint may need a "sister" of thin plywood both sides, cut to fit the profile of the affected area, epoxied on, and glassed.

It will beef up the affected area, but will still be a pirogue.

If you want a presentation grade jewelry box, then build one. If you want a pirogue, well, you have one. Repair it, use it, get some mud and scratches on it, SMILE REAL BIG, repeat as needed.

Piper

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Cool. That's what I was hoping. It seems simple enough and that'll give me time to make other modifications, e.g. deck, anchor trolley or maybe bow and stern anchor type system.

Yeah, all I want in a boat to go chase after bluegill. Beater boats for the win.

Thanks, man.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Wow! All good advice... what's gone wrong here? Regardless of the brand of epoxy you use, West has the best detailed manual you can download. The methods are the same for all brands. Mixing ratios and filers may be different.