Crock Pot Pork Shoulder | SouthernPaddler.com

Crock Pot Pork Shoulder

JEM

Slow-cooking a pork shoulder in a crock pot tomorrow. Rubbed it with some spices this afternoon. And yes... I checked that it would fit in the crock pot! :lol:

Gonna throw in some onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes, and anything else I can come up with. Maybe a little beer and apple cider vinegar just to get the flavors rolling. I read you want to put the fatty side up so it self-bastes so we'll try that out.

Can't wait for dinner tomorrow! :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
sounds mighty good chuck , i bet a good old fat venison roast would work well with those ingredients too. :wink: better not leave the lid off & let pup get a smell of that aroma.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Matt, I cook a lot of pork in my crockpots. I always cut off the fat before I put it in the crockpot. Fat goes into the garbage where it belongs. Cook it for about 6-8 hours on low, and it will be so tender you can cut it with a wooden spoon.

JEM

Kayak Jack said:
Matt, I cook a lot of pork in my crockpots. I always cut off the fat before I put it in the crockpot. Fat goes into the garbage where it belongs. Cook it for about 6-8 hours on low, and it will be so tender you can cut it with a wooden spoon.

This one was actually pretty lean. Had a couple small "flaps" that I peeled off. To get the rest I would have had to cut chunks of meat away. So those will be easier to get after it's cut.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
Makes the insides of your arteries dull, though.

The garlic you cook it in will slick any bad stuff right on through the plumbing and it won't hurt you. The stuff is good for you anyway. We'd all probally be better off eating real butter and cooking with lard. :shock:
Bob

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I go to Sam's and buy the pork loin, varies from $1.58 - 1.90/ pound. Exceedingly good buy. (Next to it sets ribs for $3.50/ pound. DUMB!)

When I get the loin home, I trim off the fat and cut the meat into two or three chunks, and bag it for the freezer. Often, I'll make long slits in the chunk and bury several tablespoons of minced garlic in the meat. The freeze/thaw cycle helps to spread flavor into the meat.

Several favorite ways to fix the loin are (#1) Slice about 1/2 an onion into the crockpot, lay in the garlic laden meat, rest of the onion, maybe some liquid smoke, maybe some celery and/or sweet bell peppers, 12 oz can of V-8. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. About an hour before dinner, start a batch of brown ice.

(#2) Onion slices in the crockpot, encase the loin in a sweet marmalade (orange, peach, plum) and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. About a quarter hour before dinner, start a large batch of instant, mashed potatoes.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Take a 2-4 lb pork shoulder or picnic butt & trim off any visible fat.
Slice a medium onion into rings and put in the crockpot.

Put 1 tbsp of candied ginger through a garlic press. Toss it in. You can use a 1"x 1/2" slice of real ginger - quarter it instead of pressing it.
Put 3 cloves of garlic through the press and into the bottom of the crock pot.
Rub fresh ground pepper on the roast and put it in the crock pot.

Add 12-24 ounces of ginger beer. If you use ginger ale, don't get the sissy kind that doesn't even make the back of your throat hurt. Don't use diet - supposedly the sweetener breaks down under heat. You can substitute Coke, Dr Pepper, or 1/2 cup cider vinegar + 1 cup water. If you like heat, you can add Jalapenos or Chipotle, but the slow cook will intensify it, so add less than you think that you need.

Slice another medium onion on top.
Cook 6-8 hours on low, 3-4 on high, turning the roast halfway through. It'll probably fall apart when you turn it.

Separate the meat and the rest. Pull the pork with a pair of forks, removing any fat. Your dogs will help disposing of the fat (and the rest if you turn your back).
Save 1 cup of the liquid, removing the ginger if necessary. Toss or keep the onions as you prefer.

Put the cup of liquid back in the crock pot, add the pulled pork, then add 2 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce. Stir and heat on low, until heated through (about an hour). You can also skip the saucing step, serve the pork plain, and let everyone add their own BBQ or Teriyaki sauce.