Crosman pump | SouthernPaddler.com

Crosman pump

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I've got a 1322 which is about like it except 22 caliber. I've had it close to 20 years and it still works. I just noticed that they have made some changes to the receiver over the years. I've killed squirrels with head shots with it. To lighten the trigger pull, I removed the trigger return spring, so I now have to push the trigger forward and turn the pistol up-side down to cock it. The directions said to give it at least two pumps and up to ten pumps for full power. Two pumps and wadcutter pellets to their rear ends are good for chasing off the neighbors cats from my bird feeders. Ten pumps and pointed pellets for killing squirrels.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
coogzilla said:
pistol 3377. Any one got one? Like It?
I could'nt pass up this deal, so I got one orderded.
http://www.airgundepot.com/rosman-airgu ... tured.html. coogs :D

I couldn't get the site you posted to load on this charcoal powered Ozark ISP so I'm winging it a bit! :cry:

I've owned--or own--virtually evey Crosman pistol ever made. The 1377/1322 series CAN be good! "Can be" because the late models have a *&^%$% plastic breech that has all the rigidty of a soft pec-----er---non-metallic piece that is correctable in the form of aftermarket metal replacement breeches. Personally I use breeches from my stock of early Crosman 'junkers' but not everyone has been collecting defunct parts guns for decades as I have.
Triggers are EASILY modified to yield a good pull altho I admit to preferring the earlier one-piece grip assembly to the new 2 piece casting because of the better spring/sear follower on the earlier guns. But even so a simple polishing of EVERY mating surfaces in the trigger group along with clipping a coil or two off of the spring followed by a good lube job will transform the 'lawyer trigger' as recieved. There is much more that can be done to the trigger,such a shimming out side-play and addition of a trigger shoe, and plenty of tutorials on the net but the above takes care of 90% of the problems.
The rigid metal aftermarket breech and a trigger job makes so much difference that you may be pleased without further effort but a quantum leap in achievable accuracy may be effected by the replacement of the pistol grips with the Crosman aftermarket shoulder stock that converts the 1300 series into a very short carbine. Further power and accuracy can be facilitated by barrels of greater length from Crosman, but then you no longer have a pistol!
IMO the best current Crosman offering in a pistol is the CO2 powered model 2240. It's more 'pistol-like' insofar as OA length is concerned than the Buntline-like length of the 1300 series but suffers from the same POS plastic breech.
A 20 minute trigger job on a buddy's 2240 a couple of weekends ago has resulted in him reporting a 50% reduction in group size so the effort is well worthwhile!
Hope this helps. Tom

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
What you think about this bargain Chinese? said:
A few years ago I had one of them thrown in with other things to complete an order. Since I'd owned a much earlier .177 version on that action that was marginally accurate after performing a lot of tuning work on it I wanted to see how the .22 would perform.
I still have it. I've long since lost count of how many times I've had it apart for surgery both minor and major. Nothing has worked. The 'innards' are so rough that no amount of honing has brought the compression capabilities up to the point that it's much faster than a good Red Ryder. Nor has experimenting with various new seals availed. I have an elderly smoothbore Benjamin that is more accurate. And the front sight still comes off in your hand if you're not careful on cocking. Even after trying to put it on permanently with some good epoxy.
If my memory is on the money it was shooting @ the 400fps bracket when I got it---some shots a little over and some much less. The best I've been able to milk out of it with all the effort is @ 450.
Of all the Chinese trash that has passed thru my hands since they first began appearing in this country that particular gun is hands down the worst.
But try it if you want to; your luck might prove different----but I wouldn't count on it. :wink:

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
I got one coming. 28$ I will toss it if it's unservicable. I aprecciate
your comments. I like to experiment. Been reading on some of the
air gun forums. Makes it more confusing than helpful. What springer
would you recomend? Had a old crosman pump. The pumping thing
gets old after a while. That 2240, I almost bought one. The 3377
is supposed to show tomorrow. UPS. I'll look it over, and if it's OK
try it out. Then I'll do what you said. Do the 2240 grips fit?
Coogs

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
coogzilla said:
I got one coming. 28$ I will toss it if it's unservicable. I aprecciate your comments. I like to experiment.>

I devoutly hope that quality has been improved by a quantum leap since I got my 'problem child'. I too enjoy experimentation; otherwise I would have given up on it much sooner.

<Been reading on some of the air gun forums. Makes it more confusing than helpful.>

Yep---too many 'instant experts' on the boards in the current era!

<What springer would you recomend?>

Anything by Weirauch or Diana. Or older, British-built BSAs or Webleys. Some of the current BSA & Webley branded products are NOT of British manufacture! The same applies to Diana/RWS. The guns actually built by Diana in Germany are good, but RWS now sells many Spanish/Pacific Rim products blessed by their logo which once signalled a German-built Diana product.
Spanish and Paific Rim airguns have a well-deserved reputation for inaccuracy and QC problems. Current 'wisdom' suggests that they are getting better, but IMO it's still a crap-shoot.

<Do the 2240 grips fit?>

Yes. Crosman has only produced 2 grip/frames. The grips interchange on all earlier grip/frame models and the same applies to all models with the later grip/frame. However grips made for the different grip/frames will NOT interchange.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
It came UPS today. Seems well made. Barrel is rifled and mirror
smooth. Trigger, so so. That's easy to fix though. Feels about same
weight as a 1911. When I pick it up I try to rack the slide. Gotta get
some pellets tomorrow so I can play with it. The plastic grips gotta
go if it shoots OK. Coogs

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA

After getting barrel/receiver/sights all lined up and pointed the same
way, it shoots pretty good! This littte twerp goes thru a steel Folgers
can at 40ft. with 10 pumps. Put up a 5gal. pail, like they sell at the
hardware store. It came from "Ace" so it's not a el cheepo.
Same distance. Little bitty hole dead square front center. Pellet
must of expanded, 1/2" hole out the back side. Crosman pointed
.177 pellets. I would recommend this pellet gun. Coogs

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Tom.
The B2-255, it's a china springer shoots good. It's nice and stout
and built like a russian weapon. The stock is kinda sorta an attempt
at making a real one. The steel parts are well made and finished
as good as anything they still actually make here. All in all, I like it.
I ordered the Shanghai factory hop up kit for it. Comes with bigger
spring and seals. I'll do a little gunsmith work on it.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Coog,

Bein' a honorary fella frum the Southern Test Facility (jest outside Nixa, Missouri, down the road frum the bait shop), ya gotta be careful when ya test them pellets in yer gun. Ya gotta keep careful records....in writin'. Dont try usin' yer fingers 'n toes....it dont work. Trust me. :lol:

Before ya test them sample pellets, I'd shoot a few hunerd pellets (at least) down the barrel. Be real careful not ta git carried off with cleanin'. Dont git any WD 40 anywhere near it. After ya see what kinda groups ya kin git, dont even give no thought ta cleanin' til ya caint git groups like that no more.

A pumper iz a heap eazier ta shoot than a springer 'n they aint near bout az hard on scopes, so scope 'em if ya got 'em. When ya do clean, dont even think bout firearm cleaner....no Hoppe No. 7, Sweets 'er Break Free. Goo Gone......git a tiny bottle. It will last fer years 'n come in handy round the house. Git a Patchworm. This is the best cleanin' kit I ever run across....cheap too. Aye Laddie. http://20-20.8m.com/

After that barrel iz broke in, then comes testin'. Ya caint test 'em all in one day, so try ta shoot on days when the weather iz near bout the same, mainly the wind. Aint no point in testin' whilst the wind iz blowin'. Shoot the same distance. 25 yards iz good. Stop 'n keep notes 'n put all the info on the targets. I will go look fer a site with a heap a free targets that ya kin print off down ta the office 'n make a few hunerd copies. :wink:

Go slow cuz if yer wore out ya caint shoot az good az when yer fresh. Be careful not ta use any group tightener while yer testin'. It will put yer holes closer at first, but one sip too much 'n they spread out. Wait til yer done testin', then use group tightener jest fer fun......kinda like Serpico when he wuz settin' out on the back stoop listenin' ta that opera singer. I like merlot, but Dago Red will do.

It wont take long ta see that yer gun dont like some pellets at all, so I'd jest git one sampler first.....'er ya kin save one fer a pal ('er yer next gun). Shootin' with a pal, tryin' ta see who kin make the smallest groups, sippin' a fine group tightener (remember ta be extra careful) 'n spreadin' boat science on a purty day iz mitey high livin' on the hog.

Git a notebook too. Dont jest keep yer records on the target. It makes it eazier ta see which pellets done the best. I like 5 shot groups 'n measure the best four az well when ya git a flyer. Sometimes the flyer iz my fault, not the gun 'er the pellet. :mrgreen: When ya find out the best one, order a few thousand. Ole Tim runs a Whole Lotta Lead sale each spring. Free shippin' on big orders. Shippin' hurts when ya order pellets. He lives out in California....mebbe close by?

After ya clean with Goo Gone, ya kin put a fine oil like Rem 'er mebbe ATF on a patch 'n pull it thru the barrel....a real good thing if ya dont aim ta shoot it fer a spell. After that I pull a few dry patches thru cuz I dont wanna leave much oil in the barrel. Try ta keep oil away frum the seals. Dont use a cleanin' rod 'n dont figger it iz okay ta save a dollar 'n use weed wacker line instead of a Patchworm.....less ya wanna put a new crown on the barrel.

Sorry if I tole ya more'n ya wanted ta hear, but I caint wait ta hear how it goes.

regards
bearridge
Southern Test Facility, Fella
Bodine College

ps On my Crossman I put jest a bit of ND motor oil on the pellets. Use it on the foam part in the cockin' arm that needs some lube ever year 'er so.

The most costly of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.   H. L. Mencken

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
Notes on 1377, Crosman. Very accurate, a little polishing on the
trigger/sear contact areas gets real close to S/W trigger.
At 5 pumps, it will blow 3/8" holes thru a steel can. This is with .177
diameter pellets. About 3/16" or so. Very quiet too. For guys that
have a little gunsmithing know how this is a really good little air pistol.
Theres some cats getting over 500fps on 10 pumps with this thing.
That's not .177. It's 22cal. Coogs

islandpiper

Well, my new 1377 arrived today. I made a couple of can-killer shots and then put on the accessory shoulder stock. .....now, that's fun.

With all due respects to Tom at Buzzard's Bluff, and Bearridge at ...hmm Bear Ridge, I'll never be a scientific shooter. The difference between 475 and 500 FPS isn't a big deal with me. Heck, with my vision I'm just happy to pop cans across the back yard.

This 1377 is a match for my Dad's old 1322 that mysteriously disappeared after Dad passed away and my older brother toured the house. no business like family business.

So, it brings back memories.

When I got home i popped another soda can for a while in the back yard. i think I'll get something bright white to paint on the front sight, unless some one of you have a better idea.

Thanks Coogs, for the boost to get this found and purchased.

piper

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
islandpiper said:
i think I'll get something bright white to paint on the front sight, unless some one of you have a better idea.piper

Since I'm not quite sure exactly what the problem is except for the trouble with your vision you've had so much 'fun' with in the recent past it's difficult for me to make an intelligent comment or suggestion. But since I'm not best known for intelligence I'll sail boldly forth into the fog. ;-) If, as with virtually all of us as our eyes age, you are having difficulty seeing a single clearly defined front sight and what you see is multiple 'ghosts' on either side of a very fuzzy 'whazzit' on the front of the gun then you may well discover that a peepsight will bring much improved definition to that disconcerting picture. Through some optical principle that I'm too under-educated to understand looking through an aperture serves much the same function as a focusing lens. With my 69 year old eyes I haven't been able to adequately see standard open iron sights for many years but I can still use a peepsight with deadly accuracy. Whether the principle will serve to help your specific problem and needs I have no idea but it's certainly worth a try. I also am not sure if Crosman still delivers the 1300 series pistols with the same sight that was furnished for decades but on the sight I have in my memory it could be removed from the rear sight base by removing the sight elevation screw, inverted and VIOLA! there was a peep aperture on the end opposite the rear sight notch. If you need to call Crosman to get one be aware that earlier 1300 sight bases were made of metal along with the notch/peep part and they MIGHT still be available.
Tom

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
islandpiper said:
Bearridge at ...hmm Bear Ridge
Friend piper,

I dont live on the ridge no more. Actually, I never lived on it, but I hunted dove there 'n had a picnic there with my folks. We all sang "Cool Cool Cool of the Evening" on the way home. It wuz kinda like Ozzie 'n Harriet cept my Ma looked more like Elizabeth Taylor. I aint sho how he pulled it off, but my Dad done good.

1220270014053343242S600x600Q85.jpg

regards
bearridge

ps Wannabe Son, please dont take no offense. After what ya'll done at Pearl my Dad 'n Cooper jest had ta pay ya'll back. In them days we didnt turn a cheek. But ya'll come out okay. We left Ole Joe Nathan Demming (musta been a Southern boy) over there ta count Japs 'n the next thing he wuz showin' ya'll how ta build good stuff.....like my Tundra.

Guard: Sorry Luke, jest doing my job, ya gotta appreciate that
Luke: Naw.....jest sayin' its yer job dont make it right boss.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
I got some pearl white "nail paint" I painted the backside of the front
sight blade with. Works pretty good. Now I can see it. Thought about
doing the grips so they would look like pearl, but then I woke up.

Coogs

islandpiper

I may never take the shoulder stock off mine, but I'll replace that pump handle with something nice: rosewood, or Walnut or curly maple......anything but plastic. Of course, then I'll have to go through the purchasing department and get some new checkering cutters.

piper