Cross bows | SouthernPaddler.com

Cross bows

islandpiper

Two nuns were walking through Central Park when a mugger jumped out of the bushes and demanded their money.

One nun said to the other, "Show him your cross."

The second nun stood up tall and shouted at the top of her lungs with a growl, "Get the H*** out of here you no-good S()*(*^ of a B(&^%!!! Now, get going, before we beat the livin' S(*&*(^ out of you!!!"

Nothing quite like one of those old nuns who was cross at you .......

Sorry Ron......couldn't help it.

Visit the Primitive Archer forum. Lots of guys there making cross bows, traditional style. piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Built 5 so far. All use the rising pin trigger. I gave one to the neighbor to take with for hog hunting around San Benito this winter. I used commercial bows and strings with my own triggers and stocks. Three 150 pounders and two 80 pound pistols. The 150's bury the bolts past the fletching in my high density foam broadhead target at 30 yards.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
I will post photos after after I get around a certain camera company no longer updating drivers for there $300 state of the art camera. :evil: They will not be the beneficiary of any more of my business.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
OK, so it took me a little longer than 15 minutes. Went out to the shop and 35 minutes later I came up with this.

100_0722.jpg

100_0725.jpg

100_0723.jpg

the "trigger"

100_0724.jpg

It's very crude and has about a 15lb. "trigger" but it shoots an arrow with accuracy and authority. I had the short elm selfbow hanging around and grabbed the first piece of 2x4 I found. I didn't even have to cut it to lehgth. Drilled one hole and cut a couple of notches and ran a quarter inch kerf down the stock to guide the arrow. And my favorite thing : Cost $0.00. :roll:

Joey

islandpiper

You're slipping , Joey. Usually your project-completion estimates are closer than that. You could find a job in the gub'mint, though......somehow all their projects seem to double and triple in time and expense before they are done.

Nice, quick job......now, how does it shoot?

piper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
It actually shoots pretty good. The "trigger" has a long travel but breaks surprisingly well. Only shot a few times at 10 yards but it seems to shoot where you point it. I need to put some kind of arrow holder on it, add a pivoting trigger lever and refine the stock a bit. I'm not crazy about keeping a wood selfbow at full draw for that long so I might have to glue up a fiberglass version if I decide to continue with it.

No way I could work for the government --I did not have to file detailed blueprints for endless review, it worked first time, and came in at ZERO cost. I almost forgot- no kickbacks paid to anyone. :mrgreen:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
The fiberglass bows are going to be more powerful too.
I use a piece of spring steel banding that presses the arrow down near the fletching to hold the arrows. Bend to shape and screw down to the stock behind the string notch. You want just enough tension to hold the arrow--too tight and it will twang like a tuning fork as you fire. A long trigger makes it easier to hold on target as you shoot. You won't send too many bolts off into the deep woods by pressing up too hard. :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
BEARS BUDDY said:
...A long trigger makes it easier to hold on target as you shoot. You won't send too many bolts off into the deep woods by pressing up too hard. :oops: :oops: :oops: :shock:
That doesn't sound like a voice of experience to me; I'm guessing he just read that. Feel free to ignore that, Joey. :wink:

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
No experience, but there is a spot on some state land where one might find 5 only slightly used bolts. Metal detector and waders might be in order.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
XBOWS007.jpg

TOPSIDE VIEW Stock is 8.5 inches bow to butt. The bow is 18 inches and rated 80 pounds at full draw.
XBOWS008.jpg

PISTOL UNDERSIDE Bolts are 5/16th dowel fitted with a section of old arrow and an insert hot glued in place to hold standard screw-in points.
XBOWS009.jpg

Note hose clamp bow retainers.
XBOWS010.jpg

BOLT RETAINING SPRING DETAIL The rising pin is a 1/4 inch bolt with the head turned smooth to about 3/8 inch diameter. There is a polished steel pin epoxied either side of the firing pin to take the pressure from the string and prevent wear on the wood at the slot