Daisy 880 | SouthernPaddler.com

Daisy 880

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
I bought one of these last year ,a light pumper for squirrels ,it came with a scope.
This thing was driving me crazy ,would not hold a decent group. I finally pulled the scope off went back to open sights and the little gun settled into a 1/4 inch group at 15 yards. Even with my geezer eyes.
Beats me why they will take a good shooting gun go to plastic receiver then dove tail it ,the dang plastic was giving in the dove tail.
I think I am going to get on my lathe and build a peep for it ,might clear up my sight picture.
Ron

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Ron, I have an 880 that's about 20 years old and it has a metal receiver- just old pot metal. I recently put one of those $6.95 WalMart scopes on it and it helps a lot with the sight picture. The gun is a shooter. Dinging cans out to 70 yards. Fun stuff. At the suggestion of one of the guys on the air gun forum, I chucked a pointed carbide bit in my drill and EASED the crown of the muzzle a little. Seemed to have helped.

I took it out of the closet and dusted it off after shooting Piper's neat little Crossman pistol with a shoulder stock. Pretty accurate little gun. I'd like to see what it would do with a scope on it.

Joey

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
tx river rat said:
JD
I wish this one had a metal receiver the plastic gives to much,but she is a shooter
Ron

That's pretty dang good accuracy for an inexpensive little gun from WalMart. That will give some of those high-dollar guns a run for their money.

How's the trigger on yours? Mine is probably about 10-12 lbs. My best shots come when I ease the trigger back with about 80% of the pull and touch off that last little bit when on target. Can't do it all the time, but it works.

Joey

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Joey
Your right about the trigger it is horrible,but if you can shoot the ones with a bad trigger then shooting one with a good trigger is a snap.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
tx river rat said:
I finally pulled the scope off went back to open sights and the little gun settled into a 1/4 inch group at 15 yards.
3 'er 5 shot groups? I caint shoot open sites worth a dang. With the Slavia 631 (see pichurs at piper's geezer gatherin'), I managed a few half inch groups at 11 yards, but out ta 20 my five shot groups wuz bout 1.5". I wish I had a kevlar bird feeder.

regards
bearridge

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies.  Friedrich Nietzsche

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Joey - which air gun forum are you using? I'm lurking in a couple, but haven't picked one to infest yet.

I've seen some sights where they show you how to clean up the triggers on Crossmans, but have not run across info on Daisys.

George

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
I wish this one had a metal receiver the plastic gives to much,but she is a shooter

Ron,
Much the same problem prevails with the earlier metal receiver as well. The real problem is that the interface of receiver and barrel isn't rigid. On guns with a solid barrel that can be overcame by mounting a pistol scope forward on the barrel itself but the 880 series has a 'soda straw' barrel inside a rolled sheet metal outer shell.
Your idea about making a better sight and mounting it forward of the receiver is about as good as it's gonna get without a complete redesign of the receiver/barrel lash-up and a lot of machine work to adapt a proper barrel.
All that said I have had a few pass thru my hands that were tackdrivers. But they were ALL the earlier cast receiver model with the metal pump lever, If you could find one of them and stuff the 'innards' of your new model into the older gun using a bit of epoxy in strategic areas you might come up with a 'good'un'. You could also clean up the trigger while it was in pieces. And you'll curse me for suggesting it when springs and small parts explode in every direction when you split the receivers. :D

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff said:

You could also clean up the trigger while it was in pieces. And you'll curse me for suggesting it when springs and small parts explode in every direction when you split the receivers. :D

Tom, you mean all those pieces that came out have to ALL go back in? :?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I must have a transitional model. I have the cast receiver halves but have the plastic pump lever.

Joey

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
jdupre' said:
<Tom, you mean all those pieces that came out have to ALL go back in?>

Well----most of 'em. :D

<I must have a transitional model. I have the cast receiver halves but have the plastic pump lever.>

You do indeed!

FWIW to the 880 owners out there in 'Airgun Land' ( :wink: ) there's a 'quick and dirty' hop-up for that series. Just keep in mind that if you do it and destroy your gun----well---you're on your own. :D

Open the pump lever up and take a gander inside the pump tube. You will see a link section that holds the piston and O-ring at one end and is pivoted to the rest of the pump linkage on the other. That link contains a rubber 'biscuit' that is designed to prevent overcharging no matter how many times it is pumped. The 'quick fix' is to replace that rubber biscuit with a stack of flat washers of equivalent thickness.This can only be done with the earlier models with the metal pump lever because you WILL break the plastic pump lever if your gun is so equipped! The plastic lever was designed to thwart exactly the modification described! It's the 'insurance' link in the chain.
I have in my collection the original 'Velocity Standard' gun of the 880 series from the Daisy R & D department. In place of the rubber biscuit it has an ingenious adjustable piston that can be adjusted to provide any level of pump pressure to the valve. Which goes a long way to explain just how they were able to achieve the advertised velocity figures for the gun! :D

AirgunAddict

Sep 26, 2009
Re: Daisy 880 (MODIFYING THE TRIGGER)

Just a note that to those who are interested, modifying the Daisy 880 trigger is not only doable, it's very easy.

Granted, take it into perspective that it's a $35 gun, so how much effort do you want to put into mods? Well, that's up to you. I enjoy shooting the 880 and other multi-pump Daisys when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to bring out the bigger boys and didn't like the triggers on mine, so here's what I did to get them from the factory issue 7-8.5 lbs down to about a much more reasonable 2-3 lbs.

This is a very easy way to modify the 880's trigger without worrying about a lot of tools or a complex process. (You'll need a regular and Phillips screwdriver and wire cutters)

1. Make sure the gun is not loaded, discharge any air for safety reasons.
2. Remove the receiver screws, the safety trigger guard and the the loading bolt (standard dis-assembly noted elsewhere on this forum)
3. Remove the lower push pin that closest to the trigger being careful to ensure that the spring behind the trigger doesn't pop out
4. Remove trigger and then the main spring behind the rear of the trigger, this accounts for about 70% of the trigger pull on the 880
5. This part varies a bit, so try and use small increments to get the feel you want. Basically cut the spring 1, 2 or 3 "curls" down to reduce it's length. I have found that crimping the cut end a little helps keep it in place. This is the end I re-install on the male-nipple on the trigger unit that we removed in step 4.
6. Re-install the trigger with the lower push pin, making sure the spring is re-seated correctly.
7. This step is optional and if done too much, will make the gun unsafe or mis-fire, so proceed at your own risk. Take the regular screw driver and GENTLY depress the discharge blade several time to bend it slightly down near the location closest to the where it moves into the mechanism toward the barrel of the gun. (NOTE: The discharge blade is the light metal blade that the trigger unit moves back and forth as the gun is cocked/fired. It is easily seen below the loading port where the pellets and BBs are chambered.)

That's all there is to it.

It should be fairly straight forward; but can post pics of one of my modified rifles if needed. I have a couple that now have a 2.2 and 2.5 pound triggers which makes shooting much more reasonable.

Shoot straight and enjoy the fun of this little 25 yard plinker!

-Addict

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Good tip, Addict. Cut a little over a coil off of the spring and now she's pulling about half of the stocker - between 4 and 5 pounds. It's still a real cccrrrrreeeeeeepy pull, but predictable. It WAS a bear to get that cross pin back in. :roll:
I appreciate the tip.

Joey