Dale Calhoun stump jumper | SouthernPaddler.com

Dale Calhoun stump jumper

xray

Apr 5, 2010
I have a mint condition stump jumper that has only been in the water three times. Does anyone know of an enthusiest board for these boats or what they are worth . How much should i insure it for ? thanks :?:

mike

Jun 29, 2009
TEXAS!
Welcome aboard! Kayak Jack will be along a little later with the official welcome.

Post some pictures, I'd like to see what you're talking about.

Mike

xray

Apr 5, 2010
Thanks kayak jack ! I will try and take a few photos to post. It is a neat hand made cypress boat 17.5 feet with an in board 8 hp honda motor . It scurries right along in only 1 foot of water. It has a neat ore system as well. oh ya the cypress is overlaid with fiberglass. I got the boat to fish out of from my fathers freind whom had dale calhoun build it for him in tippton tenn. The guy really never used it for health reasons. it was dry stored in hid basement. I plan to change the oil and clean the carb then take it out for a test run. I have found no one else that has one I was wanting to learn more about my new find. :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
X-Ray, welcome aboard. Your old boat sounds interesting, a one-of-a-kind, I'd imagine.

I'm not familiar with Honda's utility engines. Their motorcycle engines seem to range from good to great. If it is an electronic ignition, you shouldn't have any problems with spark. If it's an old points and condenser configuration, I'd suggest you get new points and condenser. Check the spark plug, and it will give you an indication of how the engine is running.

Your boat, as rigged, sounds like it will weigh in between 125 and 165? If the original owner is still alive, you might grace him with some pictures of the boat in action. If you have a Son or Daughter, or Grandkids, be sure to take them along on fishing jaunts.

xray

Apr 5, 2010
Kayak jack, thanks for the advise. Dale Calhoon died several years ago :( The owner i got the boat from said his (dales) boats were in high demand and very popular around realfoot lake. I do not know how many of these he made. I did see dale is listed in the tennesse hisorical archives. The shaft coming out of the boat reminds me of a go devil configuration. I wiill defintinly take my duaghter fishing with me. :D

quality time !

xray

Apr 5, 2010
thanks mike for the welcome also ! this is a neat forum ! I really enjoy wood working but have never built a boat I may take on a project later this summer. :)

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Welcome, xray. There are some photos of one that is probably like yours here.
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/565578752paBrcI
This one belongs to a member here, Illinoisgiller. He hasn't posted here since 2008, but his profile shows that he last visited in January of this year.
I'm guessing that you have seen this site. http://www.reelfoot.com/calhoun1.htm
An old thread here. http://www.neilbank.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4007
I don't know what yours would be worth, but probably a good bit. You might try to PM Illinoisgiller and ask what he paid for his.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
The asking price in the old ad for the one that illinoisgiller bought was $3000. The link wouldn't open for me last night but now it did. My father said that his uncle who lived near Reelfoot lake had one of the boats, but he doesn't know what happened to it after the uncle died.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A similar story about a different place, a different boat, and a similar time. I was kayaking across Rice Lake in Canada. This lake produces more pounds of panfish than any other lake around in either Canada or US. Up ahead was a fisherman, trolling slowly, coming across my path from right to left.

I veered off to the right to avoid going over his trailing lines. He veered to his left, arcing towards me. I straightened to my left a bit to parallel his lines and miss them. He arced in closer yet to me; it became obvious he wanted to talk.

His boat was a cedar stripper, a speed boat about 15-16' long, 4' wide, and about 15" deep. All cedar strips. He cut his idling engine, and "Helloed" me.

I sez, "I think we have the only two wooden boats on the whole lake."

"Yep, this is the last boat made by (name of a locally famous builder, that has slipped my mind.) He made it about thirty years ago, just before he died. All the resorts around the lake used his boats, until fiberglass started coming in. It's the last one of his boats around. I plan to keep using it until one or the other of us can't do it anymore."

He went on to tell me how he grew up on the lake, fishing, trapping, hunting, etc. Tom Sawyer really wasn't fiction; this fella lived it. Then, resorts and tourists. Then more resorts and more tourists. We chatted a bit more, and he proceeded on his way.

I saw him again the next year, then no more. I hope the olde gent is still fishing up there in the great lake in the sky, his wooden boat giving him as deep of pleasure as it did here on earth.

tlp11

Aug 13, 2011
i have several Calhoun lake boats refurbished for sale..many different options. boat trailer and oar locks for $1500. email or reply if interested. thanks! [email protected]

Captainguyburroughs

Feb 7, 2012
In the early1950's my grand father owned one of thes boats. It was a 15' non motorized boat with the mechanical oars. I inherited the boat in the mid seventies and sold it in the early 1980's. I visited the museum at the lake site a couple of years ago. I am an avid small boat builder and user and am looking for a boat to make measure drawings from an then build a replica of this boat. Is there any one that can help me with this project.
Thank you captain Guy