dang cold | SouthernPaddler.com

dang cold

islandpiper

If Jack was here I'd ask him to put another log on the fire. Man, it is cold here. I think you could keep fresh shrimp in the car with no ice today.

This is our usual January temp....it was 31.7 last night, about the same temp we used to keep the bedrooms in Iron River.

Anybody else chilly?

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Nice warm sunny Florida has little patches of frost this morning. They say we are 20 degrees below normal and it is breaking ( setting new) records around here.
Had the heat going ( on low) all night and even with that my bedroom was a nice 56 degrees when I got up. Christmas weather got here early.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Like BB, our temps are about the same and we had snow showers. However Friday it's to be 61 and sunny. That I can live with........but old man winter isn't even here yet. :cry:

Piper, I did time at FT. Polk, LA and I remember that when it was cold, it was a damp cold. As an 18 year old private fresh from the North, I thought the South was always warm in January. WRONG!

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I was in basic training at Fort Polk in the 60s. I about froze to death on guard duty, one very early August morning. It was 50 degrees, with 100% humidity.
I warmed up later in the day, when it was 112 degrees, with the same 100% humidity.
Twice in my life I have been so cold, that I worried about hypothermia. Once in Raceland, Louisiana, in November, and in Needles, California, in February.
The sunny South ain't sunny ALL the time!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
A log on the fire.....ah yes. The fire ban in west Carolina wuz off last week. We had a good fire most nites. I had my Zip ready, but Miz Bear brung the plug in pot 'n it wuz jest too dang eazy to fix me a cup of Columbian Java Juice. Gatormac 'n Miz Wynelle showed up, so did Ole Dave, Lucien 'n Ramona. We had anuther birthday party fer Ramona....with cake 'n squash, roasted corn 'n some mitey thick pork chops. Mmmmm........

It wuz cold near bout ever nite, below 40 3-4 times, but not below freezin'. We pulled out a day early 'n missed the lite snow they called fer in Bryson City. So far I aint camped in the snow. Neither haz Roscoe Brown frum Arkansaw.

It begun ta rain last Thursday nite. Rained all nite, then Friday it come a hoodoochie that lasted all day 'n all of the nite. Miz Ann sez it wuz 2". I went lookin' fer the High Sheriff. I figgered he had snuck in durin' the nite 'n brung the storm.....like he always done. I didnt smell nuthin', but I still wondered if he wuz hidin' out.

That wild cherry log sho smelled good. Ya sho "smoke iz smoke"? :wink:

regards
bearridge

If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessaries and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements, for our callings and our creeds, as the people of England are, our people, like them, must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, and give the earnings of fifteen of these to the government for their debts and daily expenses. And the sixteenth being insufficient to afford us bread, we must live, as they do now, on oatmeal and potatoes, have no time to think, no means of calling the mismanagers to account; but be glad to obtain subsistence by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains around the necks of our fellow sufferers. And this is the tendency of all human governments. A departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for a second, that second for a third, and so on 'til the bulk of the society is reduced to be mere automatons of misery, to have no sensibilities left but for sinning and suffering. And the forehorse of this frightful team is public debt. Taxation follows that, and in its train wretchedness and oppression. Thomas Jefferson

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I lived in Louisiana for a year and half, never got cold. A couple of weeks ago, I left Michigan and met Jimmy Wingo in Georgia. I saw the first snow of winter in Georgia! Something is wrong there, ehh?

I was in the Sacramento area for three and a half years. Hot and dry in the summer (NEVER rained), and cool in winter. Snow clad mountains off to the West.