Day Trip -- a Sunday drive to find Lake Catherine | SouthernPaddler.com

Day Trip -- a Sunday drive to find Lake Catherine

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org
Went for a drive today and ended up in Umatilla, FL.

I drove around the south-west corner of the Ocala National Forest and got
the Jeep all dusty. Might have found an alright campground. Took a few
pictures with the 35mm but not developed yet.

Found a camping database on http://www.coleman.com/outernet:

Lake Catherine
Umatilla, FL

LAT 29.0675
LON 81.83306
Elevation: 77 feet
Open Dates: Yearlong

regards,

David

:p

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Dave, ya have to be a member to see that page. :cry:

Well how have ya been? Haven't seen ya much here! I thought you busy re-doing the house. Bet your keeping that pirogue wet too!

swampy

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swampy

I guess the elevation of that campsite (77 feet) got to David. You know how it is with us folks down here ... we just are not use to such heights. :lol: Especially anything that far above sea level.

David ..... next time you are up in the forest stop by one of the visitors center and pick up a Fishing Opportunities in the Ocala National Forest book.

It gives you maps (topo) of most of the lakes in the forest, camping information (Recreation Facilities) , How to get to them (access) , sport fishing, specific Regulations, Lake Description, Physical and Chemical Characteristics and the Aquatic Vegetation on each lake..

Camping at most of the lakes is a 1 st there routine and usually free but there are a couple of Fee Areas and these have established campgrounds.
The Visitor Information Center on SR 19 just north of Altoona at Lake Door has the books , I do not remember how much it is but it is packed with information.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
David ... Here is an example of the information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lake Catherine

Size 112 acres

Primitive camping without any facilities. No designated swimming area.

Directions ......From CR 42 go 4.3 miles west on CR 314A / FR8 to FR (forest Road) 573 then 0.2 miles to the East to FR 591 and north 2.1 miles to FR 591B then west 0.3 miles to the lake.

Sport Fishing....The midsize lake has a popular camping area on the North shore which makes it attractive to the angler who wants to camp. The lake is clear with limited cover so light tackle is the most effective. There is a class B boat ramp.

From my hand written notes (1996 , The lake was stocked with catfish).

Lake Vegetation, Lake Rush, Maidencain , Bladderwort, Water-shield, Banana Lily and Water milfoil .... It is 112 acres with 45 acres of vegetation The deepest spot is 16 1/2 feet and in the North bay.

There is also a topo map of the lake and a black & white picture of the lake.

Chuck.