Don Starkell | SouthernPaddler.com

Don Starkell

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Don Starkell .... Don Starkell, born December 7 1932, died January 28 2012

Don Starkell, who has died aged 79, won a place in the Guinness Book of World Records after he and his son Dana completed a 19,500-kilometre journey by canoe from the Canadian city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, to Belem, a Brazilian city at the mouth of the Amazon; later he traversed most of the Northwest Passage in the Arctic by kayak, but had to be rescued after losing chunks of his fingers and toes to frostbite.

Here is the link for the whole article.... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituar ... rkell.html

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Very interesting and impressive. I wonder when you paddle pretty much all day every day for 2 years does your mind and body get so conditioned that when you finally stop do you suffer some sort of OCD like symptoms where you have strong urges to keep paddling?

Oh, and its probably not a good idea to cut and paste a WHOLE article, particularly from a major newspaper. That could easily get you in some major copywrite trouble. A couple hundred words with a link back to the source for people who want to read the whole thing is safe though as far as I understand these things.

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Here is a statement from their terms and conditions of use:

(2) reproduce, republish, modify, archive, distribute, store, archive or commercially exploit the Content without our prior written consent; nor

I'd say cutting and pasting the whole article (minus the picture) probably violates that condition.

Sure, they want the publicity. They would LOVE for people to visit their website so people can see the adds, the other stories, commercial offers of services, and maybe even get someone to subscribe.

If you "reprint" the whole article, folks are not that inclined to do that. If you do do a small excerpt or a brief summary (to get folks interested) AND include a link then you win, the readers win, and they win.

The handful of "big" forums I participate in always make a big deal of NOT including the whole article, even in emails and private messages, much less forum posts for all to see (even if a link to the source is included). I believe "copying" of small parts (500 words or less for larger articles, and only a fraction of the whole thing if its less than 500 words seems to be the norm) are covered in the "fair use" doctrine.

I'd hate to see the first thing you get from them being a lawsuit notice or your service provider shutting you down for copyright violations.

take care

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
shikeswithcanoe said:
I'd hate to see the first thing you get from them being a lawsuit notice or your service provider shutting you down for copyright violations.
take care

ME TO.....Lawyers are no fun...........
OK.. As some of you will notice I only used the header for the story and removed the rest , you will have to use the link to read about this incredible paddling feat he did.