Done.... Finally! | SouthernPaddler.com

Done.... Finally!

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Theres still some final touch up to do. Things like cleats and finding the perfect spot to mount the seats for the right balance. Overall I think it turned out great for a first time builder. A big thank you to everyone who helped me and especially Uncle John for designing such a fabulous boat. Now on to Matts Pirogue Tv and Laker. Heres my pics, what do you guys think. Not to bad for a guy who got a D in shop class.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks for the comments Graybeard. Just bring your water shoes, the rivers down here are pretty shallow. And even though she's pretty, she's built to work. My girls and I are going to bounce her off every cypress knee this side of the mississippi. Boats to me are like guns. There just tools and tools are meant to get dirty.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good work, Bently. I hope you and your gals enjoy yourselves a lot whilst using that boat. Take along lunches, small binocs, maybe a camera, a bird call, notebooks for sketches and notes, and some oranges for snacks. Keep a log of your trips with some piccies. Let the gals help operate the boat.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Very nice work. If (when) you use it,it will get scratched and dirty. Just :) and say "O well, it looked good one time."

beekeeper

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Thanks again guys. I learned a lot. My next couple builds should be a little easier. I know what not to do now. I remember reading on here somewhere somebody said don't be messy with your glues and resin. They weren't kidding! I can't tell you how much time I wasted scraping, sanding and recoating drips and runs.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bently........

Great looking boat you have there , now let it make more memories for you by using it. Remember scratches remind you of the areas you paddled with it and when the memory board gets to large a little sandpaper and varnish cleans all of them off.

A "D" in shop , what a difference when you do something that you want to do and not what you have to do. Again Congratulations on a great looking boat.

Chuck.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Launch day went great. We launched her in Destin pass. Destin Florida. She paddled like a dream even with both of us in her. Heres a couple pics.

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Yes it does. I love getting the looks and comments when people find out we built it. It is a wonderful feeling. My fiancé and I know every seam, every joint, ever resin drip, you name it. We love he way she glides even with both of us. Together plus gear we prolly had a little over four hundred pounds in her. No problem.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
looks good

don't worry about the resin drips, 95% of the people will be in too much awe of the boat to notice and the other 5% will understand and wonder how you built it with so few

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
Started to feel bad because I didnt include pics. of the fiance. She's kinda camera shy but I snuck in a couple. She's the prettiest second Captain ive ever had. :D

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
I love dogs just dont have time for one right now. I own a block plane does that count?

shikeswithcanoe

Feb 4, 2010
Congrats! Looks nice!

I gotta tell ya about this.

I saw the pics and I thought "that looks like Destin pass". After a few moments, I realized there were no landmarks or special features of any kind. Just a nice boat in some grayish water in grayish skies next to a non-descript bridge with concrete pillings. Then I thought "bahh....that could be one of literally a thousand bridges over water in the southeast"

Then I look more carefully...I'll be damned it IS Destin pass :)

Again, congrats!

Blll

Bently

Dec 15, 2009
You would be correct sir! Christy and I love taking walks down there so we thought it would be a great spot to launch. We paddled out to crab island and back. When we got back a couple young guys were fishing off the bridge. One caught a nice sheephead and it swam around a piling. He he asked if we would get it? So I paddled over and got his fish for him. He was thrilled. Then he asked where we bought our boat? When I told them we built it they couldn't believe it. I told them how simple it is and gave them this website and uncle johns. Might be seeing another pirogue around Destin soon?