Don't like Buffalo weather? Wait 10 minutes... | SouthernPaddler.com

Don't like Buffalo weather? Wait 10 minutes...

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
... and it will change. I live in ski country and we didn't have enough skiable snow until after New Years, and 95% of that was manmade snow :( . Ski season was short and with mediocre conditions at best. Frequent rain which is death on snow. My local ski area has been closed for a month.

Oh well, it's April so it must be paddling season :?: Not a chance :!: :!: :!: Canoes and camping gear are still in winter storage. Here I sit staring out the window at at 6" of new snow and it is flurrying again. Forecast for tonight is possible single digits. Long range forecast is cold and snow flurries thru 4/15. Glad I haven't summerized the snow blower!

Sure glad this forum gives me an outlet to RANT

Jon

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jon.....

Florida is the same way but the opposite of yours. We skip Fall and Spring , speed threw Winter and go directly to Summer. Been running the A/C just to have comfortable conditions.

We did get a break the last few mornings since it did drop back into winter with the 58 degree mornings but like in the past , today will go from 54 to 85.

Started out comfortable and climb back up the thermometer to Summer.
Down here winter was about 3 or 4 days long. Today it will hit 85 and this is Spring ?????? No need for long slacks , sweater's or long sleeve shirts ( unless you wear then as a sun block ).

The trees are so full of pollen that vehicles left outside turn yellow from the pollen in a day or two. I washed the buggy and before I knew it , it was yellow. My Jeep is Aztec Gold and shinny when it is clean , it was yellow and looked like it was a soft yellow velvet.

This is a picture from a few summers ago without any pollen blowing around.
4761904514_7ac8fd6ecb.jpg

The wife's red truck looked orange from a distance from all the yellow pollen on it.

My Lawn Tractor is just the opposite of your snow blower , I never put it away , just use it year round. Last year I was mowing the grass before Christmas and managed to have a break and make it to the middle of February before starting all over again.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
oldsparkey said:
Jon.....

Down here winter was about 3 or 4 days long.

The wife's red truck looked orange from a distance from all the yellow pollen on it.

3 or 4 days sure don't give much opportunity for winter snow activities.

Right now my mahogany Liberty is mostly white.

Good thing I don't like palm trees 'cuz they sure wouldn't do well in my yard.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
Good thing I don't like palm trees 'cuz they sure wouldn't do well in my yard.

That's the difference between the areas , you will never locate a real Snowman in my front yard or any of the neighbors front yards. Around the holidays there is a good crop of the inflatable ones that spring up. :roll: What really makes me laugh is when you see a nice (Fake) Winter scene with the Snow Men in the yard and icicles from the eaves of the home. Then over a short ways is someone laying on a chase lounge taking a sun bath.

For some reason a lot of the newer yards around here have Palm Trees in them , even if there weren't any before.
The contractors in the new housing areas bring in Palm Trees and plant them if there aren't any growing in the area. My guess is they use them as a selling point for later.... I can see a realtor giving the sales pitch.....Yep , You can hang a hammock from them and have a little table next to it for your cold beverage. Just lay back and think you are over at the beach. :oops: Which is about 25 or more miles to the East. :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Palm trees in yards are disgusting. It will not feed you or shade you, and they are labor intensive to keep looking good. If they should die (which they wont because they serve no useful purpose) you cannot use it for firewood or to build furniture with. Some folks do like them though.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bob....

I have to agree with you. The Sable Palm is Florida's state tree since it grows all over the area. We ( Locals ) like to call it the Cabbage Palm. The heart of it is what's called Swamp Cabbage ( From a young tree ) and is quite tasty raw or cooked with some bacon.

When a local clears a area for a home they are removed since the fronds of them eventually fall off as the tree grows and leave a stub , called a boot attached to the tree. The boots stay on the tree for a long time and attract palmetto bugs which look like a cockroach. Then the boots fall off and so on .....
Sabal-Palm-500.jpg

Well the contractors clear the land and then set out the lot lines and where the homes will be. Next they get a local to go out in the woods and dig up the palm trees from swamp land so they can be transplanted to the new subdivision to make it look like Florida.
All this work to have some palms around the area , the new folks move in and before you know it the exterminators are spraying the homes for cockroaches which are really nothing more then the palmetto bugs migrating from the palms to the homes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
oldsparkey said:
The boots stay on the tree for a long time and attract palmetto bugs which look like a cockroach. Then the boots fall off and so on .....
Well the contractors clear the land and then set out the lot lines and where the homes will be. Next they get a local to go out in the woods and dig up the palm trees from swamp land so they can be transplanted to the new subdivision to make it look like Florida.
All this work to have some palms around the area , the new folks move in and before you know it the exterminators are spraying the homes for cockroaches which are really nothing more then the palmetto bugs migrating from the palms to the homes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

...and yet another reason I don't like palm trees :!: If it wasn't for palm trees, big bugs, alligators, snakes, high temps and humidity, hurricanes, plus the fact that there are just wwaaayyy too many old people, I would love Florida :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
grandpa paddler said:
If it wasn't for palm trees, big bugs, alligators, snakes, high temps and humidity, hurricanes, plus the fact that there are just wwaaayyy too many old people, I would love Florida :wink:

That is one of the best descriptions of Florida I have seen during my life time. :D
It use to be really nice , lots of wild open territory with good weather and few people , then it started going to hell and down hill. Larger cities , lots more roads , not even thinking of all the subdivisions that use to be huge Orange Groves or Pastures.
Now Florida is wall to wall homes and roads with shopping malls and subdivisions plus retirement centers. :twisted:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
We have a world population of between 4-6 times too many people. Left wongers blame everyone else for crowding, urban sprawl, desolation of rain forests, green house gasses, and desertification - while they continue to churn out kids who need places to live, produce waste, etc.

BTW, the top three contributors to green house gasses, according to National Gepgraphic magazine, do NOT include human activity or gas guzzlers. They were listed as:
1. Wetlands (and, there goes the swamp hugger cause!!)
2. Bovine flatulence (farts from cattle, and many kinds of wild animals)
3. Termite mounds

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
BTW, the top three contributors to green house gasses, according to National Gepgraphic magazine, do NOT include human activity or gas guzzlers. They were listed as:
1. Wetlands (and, there goes the swamp hugger cause!!)
2. Bovine flatulence (farts from cattle, and many kinds of wild animals)
3. Termite mounds

Dam Jack........
I always thought it was all the Bull Chit and Hot Air from Washington , especially the White House and immediate vicinity. :roll: