dried peppers | SouthernPaddler.com

dried peppers

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
How long do ya figger a dried pepper iz good....dont go bland? Well I'll tell ya'll one dang thing......20 years aint too long. They looked like jalapenos. I seen the little ones which I figger wuz habaneros. I didnt wanna run no test with a habanero, so I tried jalapeno.

My eye iz burnin' cuz I rubbed it. I crushed the three peppers with my fingers. I wont do that no more. They wuz so old 'n dry (black 'n crumbly inside two of 'em) that I didnt see no point in a lotta truble ta bust 'em up fer the wok. I put a onion 'n the limp celery in some olive oil...with these 20 year old peppers.

My lips been burnin' fer 45 minutes. I'm headed ta wash my hands fer the third time. I mite have ta bleed my rat before too long. :wink:

regards
bearridge

ps I didnt eat any of that fer a meal. I jest cooked it up ta set in the ice box fer whatever I cook next that mite need some kick, with onion 'n celery.

Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself. Mark Twain

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My dried green bell peppers seemed still good a year later. They did, however, begin to turn dark, and eventually black. I think that, if vacuum packed, they would last a lot longer and be protected from dust etc.

I personally like to dry many things that I use camping, and rehydrate in camp. Manji Mike uses a technique that I am going to start using. Pack the food in a Ziploc (I would likely then squeeze that filled Ziploc down and vacuum pack it too). In camp, he pours hot water into the bag with the food, reseals it, and puts the bag into an insulated pocket bag (read a "cozy".) While the food rehydrates, he can be off doing other camp chores such as setting up camp, boiling water for tea, gathering firewood, checking maps for the next days journey, reading, contemplating the wonders of his navel, etc.

I have some closed cell foam and will make an insulated pouch. Saves fuel, time, etc.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Dad and raised many different kinds of hot peppers. We dried and ground peppers every year until about '01' when he got real sick . We raised habaneros, jalapenos, Thai hots, cayenne to mention a few. We would grind 'em up and place them in tightly sealed jar and store in a cool dark place.
He passed in '02'. God only knows how I miss that guy. :cry:
Anyway, we are using up the last of those tightly sealed jars. Now, some of those peppers on the lower Scoville unit scale has lost pizzaz......but those habaneros can still kick some ass! :oops: I guess a year their good, they gradually lose heat and taste after that......but the habaneros I believe will burn into the next century!

Dad carried one of those small medical aluminum pill containers on his key ring filled with dried and ground habanero. When I took him out to eat he would screw off the lid and shake it over his food. Those dried ground peppers in eateries just wasn't hot enough for him. I place that small aluminum pill container in his suit jacket at the funeral home to take him on his journey. Growing hot peppers was his hobby along with making Dago Red. I sure had alot of fun working those two hobbies with him. He was my Dad but more so the best Damn friend I have ever had in my entire life! Gett'n teary eyed mentioning him now.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Kayak Jack said:
My dried green bell peppers seemed still good a year later. They did, however, begin to turn dark, and eventually black. I think that, if vacuum packed, they would last a lot longer and be protected from dust etc.
Truthful Jack,

There aint nuthin' ta dryin' a cayene 'er a habanero, but jalapenos wuz hard. The first ones I jest laid out on a tray like the cayenne. They rotted. Next batch I took a knife 'n sliced 'em (2-3 tiny slits along the sides) ta help 'em dry out. Much better, but then I used my deathray cooker. Jest be careful NEVER ta set 'em on fire.

Manji Mike uses a technique that I am going to start using. While the food rehydrates, he can contemplate the wonders of his navel, etc.
Dang......Aussies iz near bout az strange az the animals they got down there. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Democracy is the most equitable form of government because, in it, greed and corruption are most widely spread. Stephen Millich

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I always open up the peppers. Otherwise, mine molded before they even got dry.

Dried sweet peppers, onions, carrots, peas, and mushrooms go into a chicken broth with dumplings. Jarvis likes'em fine - uhh huhh.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear,
Next time you get pepper on your fingers try soaking them in milk. Milk will help kill the hot and when you go to bleed your rat, the rat won't have a runaway. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
Dad and raised many different kinds of hot peppers. We dried and ground peppers every year until about '01' when he got real sick .
My Dad's heart begun ta give out on him in 2000. If ya grind a pepper, like grindin' a coffee bean, its days aint long.....even if ya keep 'em in the ice box. It will still have some flavor, but the git up 'n go will have got up 'n went. We still have a few jars of the de-seeded, pickled cayennes and jalapeno my Dad fixed before the century turned. Way back when Sadaam wuz killin' the snot outta Iraqi kids 'n Iranian kids with poison gas, we made some fresh horseradish I named "Sadaam's Delight". If ya leaned over the blender, it would hurt ya. However, after a week, it lost near bout all its punch....tasted like grocery store horseradish. :?
Dad carried one of those small medical aluminum pill containers on his key ring filled with dried and ground habanero.
I keep a shaker in my pickup, a shaker in Miz Bear's pickup 'n a shaker by the stove. When I use up the one by the stove, I bring in one frum a pickup (it iz hot outside) 'n set it by the stove 'n put a fresh one in the truck. [I fill jest half a shaker cuz I know how quick pepper dies after it iz ground.]
Growing hot peppers was his hobby along with making Dago Red. I sure had alot of fun working those two hobbies with him.
I wish I had met him. Did he like Fiats, boogie woogie, whitewater, booray, bolt action rifles 'n stylish women? :wink: I would like ta have shared a glass with ya'll out by the garden. Mebbe we coulda argued some bout peppers 'n red wine? That always makes me thirsty. :wink:

regards
bearridge

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. P. J. O'Rourke

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Wannabe said:
Milk will help kill the hot and when you go to bleed your rat, the rat won't have a runaway.
Friend Bob,

I thank ya fer that. Miz Bear thanks ya too, but I'd kinda like ta see her light up like a pinball machine 'n payoff in silver dollars. Now dont none of you little pardners try that at home.

regards
bearridge

Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem! Ronald Reagan

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
Bearridge;
I feel your pain, been there, done that. Watch out for rubbing your eyes.

Right now in my backyard I have Scotch Bonnets & Datils (both rate up there with the Habs heat-wise, different flavor) growing. Also have some Fresno & Jalapeño (last store bought jalapenos I got had absolutely no heat to them). Used to grow Habs, probably still have a plant out there somewhere.

I had the finger burn once when I cut up a bunch of peppers with out gloves, washed my hands about 20 times before the burn went away. Next few days at work while typing away on the keyboard, the oils on my finger tip would raise up and the tips would start tingling all over again, not a burn, just a tingle.

I have a small cutting board that is used just for cutting peppers, sometimes the heat & taste just wont go away after cutting on a ceramic plate, and can add a unique taste to a sandwich.

A coffee grinder works good for the dried peppers also. Just get an extra one for using for peppers only.

DM
mike

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Bear,
I learned that milk trick in Tulsa from an old man that run a chili parlor. One day when I was in there there was a man and his little boy eating chili. The little boy got some dried red peppers and crushed some up in his chili. After a while the little feller got up and went into the bathroom. Wasn't long before he started screeming. The old man reached over and got one of thost cone cups filled it with milk and went into the bathroom. He dipped the little fellers winkie in the milk and the screeming soon stopped. Been a time or two I have wished for a glass of milk and didn"t have one. Way too interesting.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
One day on the tv they showed fellas in Dallas eatin' hot peppers fer some reason I jest dont git. They'd eat a bad one, then fill up with a can of Cool Whip....rite in the mouth. Some used whipped cream. Seems any dairy product works. I reckon I could used cheddar cheese 'n made a hog in a blanket? :mrgreen:

Okay Chuck....I am done with it fer now. But ya never kin tell when Bob's remedy mite save a little pardner some painful tears, but I would try ice cream first.......strawberry. :D

regards
bearridge

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice. Unknown