Dry Bags, Mukluks, Etc. | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Dry Bags, Mukluks, Etc.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
jdupre' said:
Piper, I saw your bags and went and bought a set for myself. Yes, I BOUGHT them. :roll:

Nice product.

Joey

O.K. everybody chip in a little bit to make up a Care Package for Joey. :? It's quite obvious that the poor boy has run out of needles, thread, glue, duct tape, bailing wire, and doublesided tape. :shock: He has been reduced to buying ready made stuff. :oops:
Bob :mrgreen:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
jdupre' said:
Piper, I saw your bags and went and bought a set for myself. Yes, I BOUGHT them. :roll:

Nice product.

Joey

O.K. everybody chip in a little bit to make up a Care Package for Joey. :? It's quite obvious that the poor boy has run out of needles, thread, glue, duct tape, bailing wire, and doublesided tape. :shock: He has been reduced to buying ready made stuff. :oops:
Bob :mrgreen:

:D :D And a lot of folks don't believe in miracles today , we just witnessed one.

Chuck........

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
Kayak Jack said:
Some guys I paddle with like water shoes, or some other rig where their feet are wet all the time. I don't care for wet feet. Mukluks are warm to hot, but I just don't like cold, wet feet. Especially if they're mine.

I confess: :) I like water shoes :) . I usually wear polypro sock liners inside them and that helps reduce the wet & cold feeling. If the water is in the 50's, I add wool socks. If the water is in the 40's, it's time to put the canoes away and start prepping the ski gear.

I seem to vaguely remember some bearded guy from East Lansing :x complaining :x because his feet were HOT and wet from sweat (or was it a leak in the mukluk?)

For my ski gloves and boots and hiking boots I use a boot dryer, would work for mukluks. Works well and is cheap to buy and operate

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I just bite the bullet and wear knee high Lacrosse rubber boots for all seasons. Yeah, they're hot (not a big thing in my book) but they stay completely waterproof for years and are tough as nails . I usually take them off when I get in camp and it feels so GOOD! :mrgreen:

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Oh yeah, I've gotten them full a couple of times. In swimming situations, I wouldn't bother kicking them off, unless I had to swim a quarter mile. Wet ankle-tight boots take an awful lot of persuading to get off. Full boots weigh plenty on land but not under water.

Joey

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Kayak Jack said:
When I see guys wearing boots like (I think) you have, the first thing I think of is the God Father, and cement overshoes.
Most cement is heavier than water. Water inside boots isn't heavier than the water outside of them.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
True, flotation wise. But the mass of it, contained in a boot, and affixed to the far end of your leg, certainly slows down reaction time and performance capability. And, when you step out of the water onto shore (or, in Louisiana, INTO the shore) the weight of the contained water becomes even more detrimental.

All in all, I avoid footwear that tends towards entrapment. I'm a scairdy cat.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
In the winter I use chest waders, we did a little test with deep water rentry. they are not a problem till you are out of the water and actually add flotation from air trapped inside them
Ron

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Kayak Jack said:
True, flotation wise. But the mass of it, contained in a boot, and affixed to the far end of your leg, certainly slows down reaction time and performance capability. And, when you step out of the water onto shore (or, in Louisiana, INTO the shore) the weight of the contained water becomes even more detrimental.

All in all, I avoid footwear that tends towards entrapment. I'm a scairdy cat.

Not to worry Jack. When you step INTO the shore in La. as your foot sinks into the mud, it squeezes all the water out the top of the boots. Then all you have to worry about is your boot staying on your foot as you try to take another step. :roll:
Bob