DUTCH OVEN COOKING... | SouthernPaddler.com

DUTCH OVEN COOKING...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I was involved in Scouting close to 20 years. My other Scout leaders and I did alot of Dutch Oven Cooking in camp. It was fun and it was goooood!
The scouts loved it and got pretty good them selves cooking in a Dutch oven.
The Autumn Camping and Dutch oven cooking was the best. Outdoors all day in cool clean crisp air and sitting down to the smells coming out of that Dutch Oven when lifting the lid. We have Mountain Men re-enactor's whom enjoy doing Dutch Oven cooking
For Christmas, one of the Family got me a Camp Cooking book, 100 Years of Camp Cooking by the National Museum of the Forest Service History. Has alot of recipes, hints, and short stories from the Forest Service. Great pictures too from camps of old in the Forest Service. Here are a few of the recipes.

BREAKFAST MEMORIES
Sausage
5-6 small potato's, cubed
1/2 small onion chopped
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
6-7 eggs
milk(optional)
1/4 cup American or cheddar cheese

GRAVY:
2 tbsp flour
S&P
glass of milk

Cook sausage in a skillet. Remove sausage and add potato's to skillet with grease from sausage. (Add shortening if you nedd to to keep potato's from sticking). Add green pepper and onion. Cook until potato's are tender. Add eggs and crumbled sausage. Add a little milk to eggs if you like to make them fluffy. Add cheese, cook until eggs are done.

GRAVY: Mix flour with salt and pepper in just enough grease to coat bottom of skillet. Brown to desired done-ness and add about a glass of milk. If not enough add water until your skillet is about 3/4 full. Stir constantly until gravy starts to thicken. Remove from heat and stir until desired consistency is obtained.

Note: I add garlic to the potato's as they are cooking-just enough to taste, and this works in two ways: adds a good flavor and help keeps the insects away.
Sharon Waid, Region 8, Ozark-St. Francis National Forests, Arkansas

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HINT*Butter will keep indefinitely by submerging in a strong salt solution, preferably in a sealed fruit jar. Keep in a cool place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIVER RUNNIN' COFFEE

Use coffee pot or empty 1 pound coffee tin. Fill tin with water to within 1" of top of tin. Holds 12 cups of water. Put in 1 tablespoon of coffee for each cup. Set tin on red hot bed of coals and forget about it until it boils. Take pot off coals and add 1/2 cup of cold water to settle grounds, or toss in two egg shells to do the same thing.

To clean inside of tin, wipe dry with towel or cloth. USE NO SOAP! To reduce soot on outside of tin, coat outside of tin with soap before putting it on coals. Soot will wash off even in cold water. Don Duff, Region 4 Retiree.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I watch a youtube clip where some guy did just that with a coffee can and his alcohol mini stove. he put a few rocks in the bottom of the can, then baked in heavy Aluminum foil set on top of those rocks and more foil for a lid.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
Thanks, Jimmy. I'm presuming the empty coffee can then, is an Eye-tal-yun oven?

Jack my friend......the dang thing is only big enuff for a 3 1/2 inch pizza! :cry:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Beer Roasted Chicken...

BEER ROASTED CHICKEN

1 (3-5 lbs) roasting chicken
1 med peeled onion
Fresh herbs:parsley, sage, rosemary, and tyme
2 cans of decent beer

Place peeled onion inside chicken cavity, place fresh herbs in and around chicken. Place chicken in 10" Dutch oven. Pour 1 can of beer over the chicken and put the lid on. Place 8 briquettes underneath and 15 briquettes on top. Cook for 1 hour. Check at 30 minutes to make sure it's cooking. You may need fresh briquettes at this time. (The second can of beer can be drank while your waiting for the chicken to be done)
:wink:
Marion Jacklin, Region 4, Dixie National Forest, Utah

----------------------------------------------------------

FACT:Frank W. Seamon wrote, "During the time I was in the Forest Service(1905to1939), I used 27 good horses, wore out four personally owned cars and used several Forest Service pickups.
"I usually had two horses: A saddle horse and a pack horse. The pack horse carried grub, bedding, cooking utensils, and a fire tool kit. Fastened to the horn on my saddle was a carrying case containing pencils, diary, maps, records, use book, and an automatic pistol. Many a native trout I caught early in thy mourn, cooked in the bake oven, and ate for breakfast. I washed the clothes I had on in the clear streams of water, dried them in the wind, and put them back on again."

Old Timers News, Intermountain Region, November 1958

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Dutch oven rice - usually on the kitchen range, but can be done in camp handily too.

2 cups of rice, 1 tsp salt, 4 cups water.
Place Dutch oven on stove, high heat. Add a little cooking oil. Drop in rice, and stir. Lower heat only slightly. Keep stirring until it starts to smoke, and then add water. You will get a flash boil immediately, lower heat to low. Add slat, stir, cover, and let simmer on LOW low for 20 minutes.

Turn off heat and let set, still covered for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

Variation# 1: After the flash boil and addition of salt, you can add cooked meat (canned chicken is my favorite) and veggies if you like. Stir well and cook 50 minutes longer than only plain rice.

Variation# 2: After the flash boil add Knorr's Spring Garden Vegetable soup mix. Won't need salt here. This makes a nice pilaf.

islandpiper

Here is the Dutch oven set-up after Hurricane Katrina. No electricity, but we ate good. And it helps hold down the weeds in the driveway.

DSCF0015_29.jpg

Just a couple of Rock Cornish Hens and a box of instant dressing. Jarvis would have liked these. We used up a lot of meat in a week. Use it or loose it.

DSCF0018_14.jpg

When there is no gas, at any price, then we park our cars a little close to the post.....keeps the little gas-fill doors closed, all night.

DSCF0020_8.jpg

Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Easy Peach Dutch Oven Cobbler..

Easy Peach Dutch Oven Cobbler

2 (#2 1/2) cans sliced peaches drained
1 can yellow cake mix
1 can lemon-lime soda
Put darined peaches in the bottom of a Dutch oven. Sprinkle cake flour mix over the peaches then pour the soda over the top of it.
Stir the mix completely. With the lid on, bake for 45-60 minutes using 12 briquettes on top and twelve briquettes on the bottom. Rotate the oven and lid every 15 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream if you like

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Sportsman's Breakfast...

Sportsman's Breakfast

6-8 bacon slices
8-10 med un-peeled potato's, washed and sliced
1/2 cup chopped green chilies
1 med red onion diced
6 eggs
Cheddar cheese

Cut bacon into 1 "pieces and place in cast iron skillet with moderate fire. When bacon is about 2/3rds done, place potato's and chilies in skillet and cover with lid. When potato's are 3/4's cooked, add onions. Cook until onions are done. Add eggs and cook until eggs are done. Place slices of Cheddar cheese over top before meal is served.