Dutch Oven Pizza | SouthernPaddler.com

Dutch Oven Pizza

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Dutch Oven Pizza

Get the dutch oven hot and remove from the main fire. You just need a handful of coals beneath it. A little exrta virgin olive oil in the bottom, and smeared around. Put in a flour tortilla in the dutch oven, spread about a quarter cup of bottled pizza sauce on the tortilla. A handful of shedded mozzarella on top of the sauce, then pepperoni, mushrooms, chopped onion, anchovies, ETC.
Put as much fire on the lid of the oven as you can handle, without spilling ash and coal on the pizza.
Bake for five or so minutes.
The pizza is a little difficult to get out, with out the cheese sliding off. I use two spatulas.
WARNING! Do not try this when camping with three teen aged boys! You will exhaust all of your supplies, get first degree burns on your face and hands from the radiant heat of a wood fire, and have to fight for the last pizza. (Don't ask me how I know this!)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Jim, try the same thing with the Dutch oven upside down. Cook on the inside of the lid, cover with the pot.

One of my Dutch ovens is a combo cooker. Both lid and pot have side handles, precast as an integral part of each piece. The lid is a shallow griddle. I like this as a more versatile implement for cooking.

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
Jack,
I have tried the upside-down ploy on a cherry pie with a wood fire. unfortunately, I didn't make provision for getting the pot off the lid, and ended up with a lot of ash and coals on top of the pie. And I couldn't get enough heat under the pie, so the bottom was raw. I was lucky that appitites are very good whilst camping, and the pie was well recieved.
I have used the lid many times as a griddle. It bakes great pancakes, but with no handle, frying bacon becomes problematical. I scooped enough of the grease with a spoon to bake pancakes, then poured it back on the lid to make a dried egg/onion/pepper/mushroom omelet. It did a good job in that respect as well.
All in all, it was a workable system, but too cumbersome for using with any regularity.