Easy and Good Oil Lamp | SouthernPaddler.com

Easy and Good Oil Lamp

islandpiper

I was lying awake one night and this idea popped into my head. Early the next day i had the two beers for breakfast so I could take these pics and share them with you all. I haven't seen anything like this online so hopefully I'm first. My ego would enjoy knowing that.

OK......construction is simple. But look.......slow fuels only!!! cooking oil, olive oil, bacon grease, Kerosene, lamp oil.....ABSOLUTELY NO GASOLINE, NAPTHA OR ALCHOHOL!!!!

The only trick is this: KEEP THE WICK SHORT. WITH LAMP OIL I'M KEEPING MINE JUST ABOUT 1/16". ANY MORE THAN THIS AND IT WILL SMOKE OR GET WILD.

If you want to hang it, use wire, not string, it gets hot on top!!

OK: here we go:

Two cans, anything but Fosters, the metal is too light
two%20cansJPG.jpg

Cut one off about an inch high, and flute the edge, pop three holes in it: wick, fill and breather.

three%20holes.jpg

Then feed in the wick. Cotton string, hemp twine, twisted threads off the bottom of your shirt, shoe lace, dried grass twisted up.....whatever.

bottom%20part.jpg

Here is a view, inside, showing the flutes

inside%20view.jpg

Now.......cut out a window from the other can, making the bottom the same depth as the first can you cut off. And, make the window tall as the can side, ending it where the shoulder of the can starts.

Insert the portion with the wick and push down, evenly and neatly. The wick should be in one of the outside holes, the center hole is for fillling. the wick should be toward the back. Fuel up and light the wick. Watch it so ensure it does not flare up. Ah, let there be light.

finished_2.jpg

Piper[/img]

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I like it. Simple, light, cheap :) , and no nasty smelling dangerous fuel. Olive oil---- use it in your lamp or put it on your salad-- - a true multi-tasker. 8)

Joey

islandpiper

I must admit, I thought I'd try this with alchohol right after I made it. I had that on the bench, and don't keep kerosene on hand. Well, the inside bounced off the 18' ceiling and landed, aflame several feet away, while I was stomping out the small blaze started by the bottom when it rolled off the bench. That was with about one tablespoon of fuel.....

Now.....repeat after me: WE ONLY USE SLOW FUELS IN THIS LAMP.

piper

(yes, like many tragedies , it must have been fun to watch)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Piper San, Illuminated Bearer of Light, Bringer of Good Fortune, and Friend of the Working girl -
(A) Do you poke two wicks up there through those two little holes?
(B) Is extra virgin olive oil faster than the regular stuff?
(C) Are shadows cast by this lamp sufficiently predictive of Egyptian culture and its predecessors?
(D) Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

islandpiper

Dear Uncle Kayak, this is a two holer, but only one wick. Science repeats itself.

Extra Virgin refers to the pressing schedule, not the flamability. Science repeats itself.

Egypt is now Saudi Arabia......have not noticed that they HAVE CULTURE there, at least not their own. History repeats itself, too.

I don't have a bed post. Usually sleep inverted hanging from the door frame. No gum.

piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It would be interesting to know the burning time on the different fuels for it. This way a camper would know how long he or they have light from the one set up.

I might pay a person ( besides enjoying the beer ) to have three or four of these going at staggered times. NO.. Staggered times for the lanterns not the campers. :p My last camping trip I had the staggering campers , the lanterns would be a lot nicer during the dark hours. :lol:

Chuck.
PS.. I would not suggest using bacon grease as a fuel in an area with bears , 4 footed and furry or the 2 legged tall one from Mississippi. Nothing gets the 2 legged tall one out of the sack faster an smacking his lips then bacon cooking and coffee perking. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I would not suggest using bacon grease as a fuel in an area with bears , 4 footed and furry or the 2 legged tall one from Mississippi. Nothing gets the 2 legged tall one out of the sack faster an smacking his lips then bacon cooking and coffee perking.

Amen...........well, mebbe a nurse/gymnast with a good tumblin' routine. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Ole Smokey

If there be a principle that ought not to be questioned within the United States, it is that every man has a right to abolish an old government and establish a new one. This principle is not only recorded in every public archive, written in every American heart, and sealed with the blood of a host of American martyrs, but is the only lawful tenure by which the United States hold their existence as a nation. James Madison

Reactions: FrankAS

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
"...Well, the inside bounced off the 18' ceiling and landed, aflame several feet away, while I was stomping out the small blaze started by the bottom when it rolled off the bench. That was with about one tablespoon of fuel..... "

I have to admit I laughed my a** off when I read that. It sounds so much like something that would happen to me.

Probably while my wife was watching.

shawnkfl

Feb 15, 2009
Largo, Florida
i've got a few empty beer cans from today and some olive oil somewhere. i'm going to try this one tonight! thanks for the cool little lamp! i'll report back how it goes.