Eco Canteen....... | SouthernPaddler.com

Eco Canteen.......

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was thinking of getting one of the Eco Canteens till I read the reports ( Google) from folks who ordered from them. This is just one example from a long list. They say $9.95 plus a free insulated tote the bottle fits in , you do have to pay shipping.
I had the feeling there was something wrong with that sales pitch. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chuck
********************************************************************************************************************************************

SCAM
lubi0086
reviewed May 15, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Advertising on Tennis channel is a scam.....Never saw the total, until I submitted the payment...
Company sends the Packing slip...not the Invoice....soooo I do not know what the company charges..

Six items were sent to me in a simple large yellow envelope:2 canteens, 2 insulated totes (advertised for free), 1 never spill pull top and 1 insert....... I was charged SIX TIMES the shipping cost...as each individual item was sent separately....total was $66

I called customer service ....and got this answer:Regardless of the fact that everything was sent as one package..the company charges shipping cost for each and every item in the package (as each one was sent separately...)...and she claims it was clearly said on TV...on their site...and when you order over the phone as I did...May be it was indeed said..but that is the SCAM....the way how it was said...soooo you can't assume that one shipping order will be charged 6X the shipping cost...

Do not purchase from this company if you have moral principles!!! Get similar canteens from COSTCO..... $20 for a package of 2 bottles....and you will avoid to be insulted by " ECO canteen"

Lubi

crkdltr

Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for the report on that Chuck. I don't think I would have ever ordered it from TV but due to shady business practice of that company they'll never see a shiny dime from me.

For $60 I'd just assume go buy a traditional metal camping canteen with shoulder strap.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
It iz out there, but like the midway when I wuz a little pardner, folks jest have a hard time walkin' off frum a deal that sounds great....near bout free. Folks will buy the Eco canteen 'n the "free" lesson frum the video professor, then find out that "free" dont mean "free" when it comes ta sellin' snake oil. [sigh]

regards
bearridge

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand.  Josh Billings

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I guess that after all these years if the Nalgene Bottles plastic was going to hurt me it would of by now. I think Father time and Mother Nature has beat the bottles to that. By stopping using them , at this stage of the game , would be paramount to closing the barn doors after all the livestock had left there. :roll:

The only time they are used is when traveling or paddling and camping so a person could say it is only moderate or very limited use they receive. :lol:
Have some new ones that have never been used , souvenirs from some of the places I have been

Chuck.
PS. I won't use the one I keep all the spare quarters ( an dimes) from loose change it. One of these years I will find out what a 32 ounce container full of quarters ( an dimes) is worth. :D

Gator

Dec 15, 2006
East Lansing/Okemos Michigan
I hold this Eco Canteen with all other "too good to be true ideas". I don't read them, but I get a spam email from them about 3 times a week. Apparently they are trying to wear us down with an email campain. Have no fear though... I'll hold my ground and not buy.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
After breakfast this morning at the local I-Hop and returning home the wife wanted to get some heal pads for her shoes so we stopped at the local Walgreen's , the geezer friendly store.

We located what she wanted and starting to leave the store I spied a display of water bottles . Stainless Steal ones from SubZero. the 750 ml ones or 24 oz in American language for $3.95.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=6

I also found a report on them where a person had them rust on the inside ... "O" Well at less the $4.00 I have to try them. If it turns out to be junk it is 100% recyclable.

You can't ....
1. use with hot beverages
2. microwave them.
3. Freeze them
4. Don't clean with bleach or clorine

For Cold or cool Beverages only. ( I'm thinking that some distilled spirits in them would be OK on paddling trips ). Yes , wister Mofficer tish his walter in tish hare walter bottle. Hic , Hic. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack , Ya need an open mind about things new and improved.
Not bad for something to have water in that does not fill up the land fills with chemicals and junk when it is empty but can be actually reused and even recycled. At lease it is not one of the Eco Canteens. :lol: :lol: By the way it is like the Bass or Stump Knocker bream..."O"ooop's , Sorry I forgot you don't fish.. It is a wide mouth so you can drop ice cubes in the water to keep it cold.

They say it will last 100 years , I will let you know if that is true in 2109 or sooner if it does not last , say only 80 years. I wounder , how many Vienna's i could get in there so i don't have to take all those small tin cans on a trip. :roll:

You can't ....
1. use with hot beverages ( a single walled stainless steel item , DUH. )
2. microwave them. ( Want to destroy your microwave)
3. Freeze them ( that is a no brainier if there was ever one)
4. Don't clean with bleach or clorine ( who wants left over bleach or chlorine in there water container)

Those sound to me like disclaimers for the folks without two brain cells that might try to do them. :p Being one of them I was thinking that the # 3 might be passed over if done without the top sealed on it but water freezes from the top down .... NAW , just add ice to the water. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Chuck.

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I suppose there are plenty of different ways to clean the inside of a water bottle, but I'm surprised at the no bleach part... would chlorine bleach attack stainless steel??

Steve

Chlorine does have an effect on stainless from what I've been taught as a fitter but as to what effect I can't remember what was told and can't say since I never experimented to find out. But whenever I clean stainless, I use a combination of salt and Arm and Hammer baking soda in water with a baby bottle brush then rinse it three, four, maybe five times to make sure I have everything out. . . At least, that's what seems to work for me.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Steve said:
Chlorine does have an effect on stainless from what I've been taught as a fitter but as to what effect I can't remember what was told
It causes memory loss.......I think. I dont know. I dont even know if I used ta know. lol

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
A wee bit of the fermented potato squeezings put in it and shook up will get rid of the water droplets ( Or Germs) after washing and rinsing it and if you are lucky James Bond will not be knocking on the door asking for it. He likes his shaken , not stirred .... Ya Know. :lol:

Which reminds me I need to get some more to be able to clean out the water bottle so there are no nasty germs in there from the water.

If you are worried about James showing up then just use something that is Gin Clear and accomplish the same thing but he will not be at the door.

Chuck.
By the way a old fashion cure for swimmers ear ( I learned this S.C.U.B.A. Diving , the wife and I were licensed divers in the dark ages ( the 70's) with the International Scuba Divers Association ) is 50% Vodka , 50% white vinegar mix as a ear wash. It really works and beats the heck out of a doctors visit.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
I knew ya had vodka in the ear. I jest knew it. [smile]

NOW I KNOW WHO/WHAT WAS DOING THAT........
Yep .... An out camping I sure would wish that you would forget about checking that out when I am sleeping , I keep thinking you are ole pups doing the licking. ( That's the only reason why you have not been shot ) Looks like I have to become a lighter sleeper on future trips. :lol:
The Early Times is over on the table by the campfire. :roll:

Chuckles