Effects of Boat's Design On Paddling | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Effects of Boat's Design On Paddling

JEM

I tinkered with the lines I drew and I figure if you made your boat with a 30" bottom, max beam at 38" and made it a skiff shape with tumblehome panel, you could get your displacement target in 11'6 that handles ok and could be paddled.

P5-12SS.jpg

Just a sketch.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Hey Bee,

If you want, give me a call one afternoon and come by and we'll pull my Dad's old bateau out and put it in my pond for you to paddle

it's 14' long with with a 2' bottom, Dad built it for fly fishing in the days before trolling motors were invented

it won't paddle as quite well as a skiff, but you get see the difference in it and your gator

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick said:
Hey Bee,

If you want, give me a call one afternoon and come by and we'll pull my Dad's old bateau out and put it in my pond for you to paddle

Thanks "seed" or is it "tick" :) for the paddle and class on boat design and construction. Its really great how you share with others. Your Dad's boat is a real Jewel and treasure. I now have even more ideas to digest and sort out, but I'm getting there. Probably next step is to build something.

beekeeper