Elm | SouthernPaddler.com

Elm

jimsong

May 24, 2008
lakside village, texas
I have an off the wall question. Has anyone had any experience with building boats out of elm? I know it's tougher than the hinges on the gates of hell!
It used to be the preferred wood for saddle trees and the hubs of the big wooden wagon wheels. (The saddle trees are made of plastic nowadays, and not too many big wagon wheel manufacturers are on the stock exchange recently.) But I have never heard of it's application in marine use.
The reason I ask, is that I have a good sized elm tree that has to come out. My original intent was to make puncheon benches from it, but if I could find a way to slab it off into 3/4 inch boards, and put said boards in the attic for a few years, maybe I could make a pirogue from my own home grown tree.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Nope....

No idea on this end.

I would let it really dry out before making a boat from the wood.
It should make a nice boat but I would do some research before starting that project , especially the weight of the wood when dried.

Would Elm be in the same class as Oak????????/

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Chinese elm, commonly known as "piss ellum" around these parts, burns OK. Makes a very nice shade tree when alive. It has few other socially redeeming graces.

If you are working with a greenhorn, let him try to split some elm. He'll give up soon - if he's smart.

Apr 20, 2008
Florida Panhandle
I'd be interested to know if the tree is sound. Much of the elm over here is hollow or rotten due to Dutch Elm Disease. It's pretty hard to find a good sound elm or elm at all in these parts. I've got no idea how it would work up into a boat either. Pretty hard and heavy.

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
Tends ta move around a lot while drying. I'de be inclined to use it in a stripper. That would cut down on the weight,and since it'ud be glassed on both sides,wouldn't soak up no water. Ain't likely ta last too long as outside benches

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Makes a good self bow I have built a couple, if it is sealed should be a tough hull, my elm bows don't weigh anymore than my oak ones and less than the bodark bows are mulberry ones.
Ron