Emergency Floatation | SouthernPaddler.com

Emergency Floatation

funbun

Sep 11, 2007
Alabama
Do you guys build with emergency flotation? I'm getting ready to build a jon boat, more of a deckless barge. How do you determine how much flotation you need? Do you use empty enclosed spaces or fill it with foam or what?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
funbun said:
Do you guys build with emergency flotation? I'm getting ready to build a jon boat, more of a deckless barge. How do you determine how much flotation you need? Do you use empty enclosed spaces or fill it with foam or what?

I don't use any flotation in mine , just sealed off ends in some of them. I did fill one with the Styrofoam popcorn for the heck of it.
From what I have seen with folks that used the foam , it creates more problems then it cures , it tends to hold condensation and rot the boat where it is. Or it gets wet , after a long time and water logged. I did repair a friends boat that had the foam in it and it was one mess. That is what made me decide to never use it.

Chuck.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
tx river rat said:
I have really good luck from pool noodles.
Ron
That's what I use. The openings in the bulkheads are a tight fit for the noodles so they don't float away. They are closed cell foam so they don't soak up water.