Epoxy for Laminating Wood? | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy for Laminating Wood?

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
To laminate two pieces of solid wood together does epoxy resin have to be thickened (wood flour, etc.)?
If not what is the best procedure? (Saturation coat needed?, wait till epoxy is tacky, etc,)

Thanks
beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
JEM said:
if it's a flat surface to flat surface, that will work.

If it's on a curve or vertical surface, I'd add some filler to ensure it stays in place.

Thanks, but is that "stay in place" before clamping, or for while being clamped?

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
JD, here's a fellow for you to track down: Jerry Yagen. I believe he is associated with the Military Aviation Museum, in Virginia Beach VA.

He purchased and rehabilitaed a WWII De Havilland Mosquito. The significant thing here is, that the aircraft is built of plywood & balsa. This twin engined aircraft was built by cottage industry cabinet makers, and was the fastest aircraft in WWII until the ME-110 jet.

When Yagen rebuilt the bird, he used modern glues, including epoxy. He may well enjoy a conversation with you.

JEM

beekeeper said:
JEM said:
if it's a flat surface to flat surface, that will work.

If it's on a curve or vertical surface, I'd add some filler to ensure it stays in place.

Thanks, but is that "stay in place" before clamping, or for while being clamped?

beekeeper

Both but mostly while clamped. You likely already know but worth saying: You don't to need to clamp you wood glue.

dawallace45

It can depend a lot on exactly what your doing for some laminating jobs like making bows I use the thick style of epoxy I get from Smooth-on and use a fine notched scraper to apply to both sides , some other jobs depending on the surfaces I may just use a brush on epoxy to both surfaces and on some I thicken it some what , when laminating for making walking sticks I don't use epoxy , instead I use Titebond 3 and for laminating oars and paddles I use a polyurethane glue

David

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Thanks guys for all the imput.
I like and have used Titebond 3 for laminating or glueing together narrow strips. I was just wondering about using the epoxy if I needed to glue larger planks or panels. Thinking it would be easy enough to aply with a roller and may cover more area for the same bang.
Has anyone spread Titebond or other wood glues with a roller?

beekeeper

dawallace45

While I've used a roller for epoxy many times I've not used one with Titebond , I have how ever used it with aquadhere glue but it was very hot and possibly not a good day to try it , the temp was about 120 deg F and the humidity was around 3 , not a good day to glue any thing up but I was in a hurry , I don't think any method would have worked that day , that project ended up in the scrap pile and I had to start again

The idea does stand trying , I do regularly use a 2" brush with it and it works very well

David