Epoxy storage | SouthernPaddler.com

Epoxy storage

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
What is the proper way to store epoxy? I've got mine in the garage that temps vary a great deal. Lately its been between down in the low 30's to up in the 70's. Is this bad for the epoxy? I've got the pumps on the bottles too, is there anything negative that comes along with leaving them sit that way for extended periods of time? Thanks folks.

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
The cold temps can cause the epoxy to crystallize. If that happens, you can set the jug in a sink of hot water and as it warms the crystals will dissolve, with no effect on the epoxy. Don't know if both, the resin and the hardener will crystallize, or just one, cant remember.

If it crystallizes, you may want to clear the pumps with a few strokes (into a clean container for each, to pour back) to get rid of any air and make sure they are still flowing proper. And check the ratio to make sure it is still putting out what it should, 2-1 , 5-1 or whatever. I use a digital scale instead of counting pumps.

I keep my epoxies in my utility room, not quite as cold as the garage, not quite as warm as the house, in the winter. I keep them on top of a small freezer in the utility room and that actually helps to keep them warm. The top surface of the freezer is warm from the heat generated by the freezer running.

DM

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mine stays in the work shop in the original containers with the pumps in them. This morning we had frost over everything outside and in the summer it is baking or broiling outside.

They sit there enjoying the different temperatures and still do what they are suppose to do when I use them.

The only thing I know (which is not a lot , just ask anyone who knows me ) is that they need to be above 70 degrees to work properly when you mix them.

During the cooler times down here I set them in the door way and put a black plastic garbage bag over them for a while ( ya can call it a solar heater) , the sun heats them up and then I can get the pumps to work.

So far none of the boats have fallen apart when I did that to the epoxy. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Epoxy will sometimes get white or cloudy or "crystalline" as it ages. It's a lot like honey candying up.

Set the jug in hot water and it will clear up. You may have to use several changes of water to fully heat soak the product.

Wimperdink

Feb 21, 2007
East TN in the Smokies
Thanks folks.... I'll leave it right where it is then. The temps are on their way up so I wont get too concerned with it.

This is my first time with epoxy after building everything with poly. The metered pumps are the bees knees. Just cant go wrong with them and so far i'm pretty pleased with how epoxy sets up. Its not fast but its consistant. I've mixed very hot batches of poly and had it stay sticky for months no matter what the temp... then i've mixed not so hot batches that set up before I was done spreading it. I like fast but I like consistant more.