Ernie's Sunday Night Pie | SouthernPaddler.com

Ernie's Sunday Night Pie

islandpiper

Ernie just sent me this one. I wonder if any of you guys have the right left overs to give it a try? If so, let me know what you think. I'll drop Ernie a note and tell him how it worked out for you. thanks, piper

SUNDAY NIGHT PIE

We try not to waste much of anything out at camp except time. And, time wasting could be an Olympic Event around this bunch of geezers. Outside of that, not much gets tossed without a pretty good reason. Last winter when it was too cold to sit on the ice we did some cleaning in the back room and found a three-pound coffee-can full of just the striker parts of old Bic lighters. Who saved them and why is still a mystery.

But, getting back to not wasting anything makes me think of the Sunday evening last fall when there was no game on for some reason. Most of the guys had left for home and there were all sorts of little bits in the refrigerator. As you know, Necessity is the Mother of Invention. And on that day Invention hollered out, “Hey Ma, What’s for Dinner??” and this is what came out of the kitchen.

We just call it Sunday Night Pie. There were leftover hot dogs, leftover baked beans and a stack of leftover pancakes. A couple other little things all showed up and dinner was served.

You’ll need to pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and get out the following things:

3-4 leftover hotdogs, plain, fried, grilled or boiled, no problem. These should be cut or chopped into medium slices.

About a can’s worth of baked beans. We always “fix” the canned kind with some brown sugar, vinegar, onion, ketchup and liquid smoke. But, use what you have.

A stack of pancakes. Cold, leftovers are the best.

Some leftover potato chips. The crushed and broken ones in the bottom of the bag are OK.

A handful or two of leftover grated cheese. Cheddar or Monterrey Jack or Swiss, or a mix is fine.

First, oil your cast iron skillet or a casserole dish and lay down a layer of pancakes covering the bottom and all the way up the sides. A little overlap at the edges is fine so that nothing seeps out.

Then, dump in the beans and the chopped hot dogs. Crush up enough potato chips to make a nice blanket on top and then spread the grated cheese evenly over the whole thing. A shake of paprika will give it color if you have some.

Slide this into the oven till it is hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes, and then take it out and let it rest for five minutes before serving and eating.

With the sweetness of the pancakes on the bottom and the flavor of the hot dogs it sort of has that “County Fair Corndog” thing going. The beans are just for fun. If you’ve been to camp on a bean-day, you understand.

islandpiper

Re: Looking for a test pilot...

If Social Security is an Entitlement then I am ENTITLED to my money back.

LIne the skillet with the cold pancakes:

P5020468.jpg

Then, fill it with leftover beans and franks, any sort

P5020469.jpg

Top with a blanket of crushed potato chips and grated cheese

P5020470.jpg

And bake it till it is hot and bubbly

P5020473.jpg

Let it all sit for a couple minutes and serve

P5020476.jpg

Good eats. Jarvis had three helpings. piper

islandpiper

Re: Looking for a test pilot...

Actually, Jack, it was very good. The sweetness of the pancakes and the saltiness of the sausage were a good balance. I used our "fixed beans" and they fit in good. the crunchiness of the chips and the melted cheese really topped it off. Personally , i'd take this SUNDAY NITE PIE to most of the stuff they cook on Iron Chef and the other make-it-up-as-they-go cooking shows.

this will be in Ernie's book that is coming out in October or November.

piper

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Looks like something I used to cook up when I was a bachelor. Only thing back then was we would throw about anything in it that was in the fridge.

Richard