Everglades 2006 ......#3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Everglades 2006 ......#3

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
( This is looking back at where we camped from the main part of the island. When the tide is in this is under water and it is only 423 paces from the tents to the outhouse and with wet feet if you have to go at high tide.)
eglades%20040.jpg

Tuesday
Basically the same as the day before with good weather, calm waters, good fishing and just a lot of fun times. This is to good something is wrong with this picture.
John pulls into the camp with his sail boat about 3 in the afternoon. His motor has frozen up on him and now all he can do is to sail it or row it ... no motor for easing around and they are National Weather folks are saying a cold front is going to move thru later with north winds which he cannot sail into.
3:30 and john has broken camp and sailing north for Rabbit Key which is near Rabbit Key Pass and into Chokoloskee , Fl. He needs to get as far north as possible before dark and the cold front.

One of our neighbors ...........
eglades%20023.jpg

Mac & Joe get back to camp a little after 5 and ask ...."Where is John" so I fill them in on what is going on. We have a camping supper and after some fire time and a few drinks we hit the tents for a good night sleep and then taking out early in the morning to catch up with John at Rabbit Key.
11:30 P.M. ... The wind hits us, the tents are doubled over, sand is blowing everywhere, forget sleeping, just stay in the tent to hold it down and thankfully we had a lot of the heavy stuff in the tents with us.
Made it thru the night and in the morning when we wanted to take out ........ we didn't.
The bay had white caps on it, then tents were still doubled over, the wind with a low tide had both boats land locked about 25 feet from the water. Nothing to do but wait, wish, and look for the tide to change and the wind to let up.

Just before noon we had water and the wind let up as the front passed to the South and over us and the skies cleared to that nice cobalt blue color you expect down there...... Packed, on the water and north bound looking for John.

Up the coast past Mormon Key, past Gun Rock Point, Duck Rock, Pavilion Key, Crate Key stopping at Rabbit Key but no John so the on past lumber Key and Turtle Key into Rabbit Key Pass and Chokoloskee then over to Everglades City and off the water.

We let the Rangers know we were back one day early but one of the party was still not accounted for. We did not know John had already made it is and he actually got his motor to run for a short while.
Mac & I secured an apartment for the night and after saying by to Joe (he lives about 3 hours drive from there) Mac and I cleaned up then went looking for John and located him by the rangers station.
As things always do ....... everything worked out for the good .... The Apartment had three beds, two bathrooms, a washer & dryer, complete kitchen and all of the good stuff so we had a comfortable night. Let the wind blow, let the rain come down, let it get colder, let the coons raid every camp, let the mosquitos and sand flies bite .... None of that will bother us tonight.

During the evenings discussions at the restaurant between several visits at the salad bar and the main course with plenty of ice tea refills we learned that John was only able to make it to Pavilion Key where he sleep on his sail boat but was not hurting for company ..... 4 Collage Girls from Vermont who were camping there and paddling the area in there canoes keep him company.

How John turned a sail boat into a house boat the easy way by using a Hennessey Hammock. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
eglades%20035.jpg

In the morning when they (The Ladies) left to paddle south to the Lopez River and the Lopez Campsite. John made it north along the coast line to Indian Key Pass just north of Kingston Key, into Chokoloskee Bay and Everglades City to the dock at the Sportsman's Club where he tied up.

Some of the things I observed and learned on this trip along with the experiences of others.

1. A Coleman Double burner stove will not work when the burners are full of rain water.
2. A canoe makes a good shallow water boat for pleasure and fishing.
3. A normal fishing boat is good in normal water but not off shore or in the really skinny water.
4. A 19 foot, double mast sail boat is a good off shore (deep water) fishing boat and you can even sleep on it.
5. A bathroom floor on a Eureka Tent can become a bath tub or container for bathing after a bad storm.
6. No amount of rain, wind, cold or anything will stop an Everglades Coon from raiding your camp or the skitters and sand gnats from coming after you.
7. No matter what the weather is like it is always better out fishing & camping then being at home or at work.
8. It....... NEVER RAINS....... when I go camping, the water just comes down the same way as it does over Niagara Falls.
9. I think I need to invest in a Gore Tech Rain suit.
10. Lets go swimming ..."O"ooop's .................... I mean Camping.

Sunset over the Gulf of Mexico.
eglades%20037.jpg

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Chuck!!! This report brought some sunshine to a poor SOB that still has to plug for his living! Your report almost made me feel like I was there.
Your a lucky guy.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have to apologize because I forgot one thing about the trip. When Mac and I were running the deep water with his boat and creating a wake we had some friends with us.

The Dolphins (Flipper) would ride or surf the wake then dive down and come up right next to the boat, almost in it so you could reach out and touch him if you wanted to.
There is something comforting to know a marine mammal is there with you saying Welcome to my element and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do but you are gong to slow ......... Watch me, I will show you how to do it and off he or she goes only to come back and to give you one of there grins that make you feel so stupid and slow.

They would also play around in the bay where we were camping and come right up to the shore if you were standing there or walking along it. My guess it was some form of there welcome wagon.

This is a bad photo but you can see where he is about to break water on the right side of the boat in the wake. I did not want to get the camera wet since digital cameras do not like to get wet.
That is Mormon Key inthe background.........

eglades%20022.jpg

Chuck

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
damn chuck.......
Your narrative makes me feel as though I was with you guys....and wonderful photos to go along with your report.....me and oldyaker were in a storm once, doing a bit of white water rafting...a storm that I'll never forget...the rain was coming SIDEWAYS against my little tent....and it rained and rained and rained....thought it was never going to let up....we heard some people leave during the storm, and found out later they went to a local motel....hehehehehe....whatever floats your boat....but thanks for the report....its snowing here in PA right now and it warmed my old bones to see that blue sky and warm sun in your photos....it won't be long before me and oldyaker are on our way downn to the Edisto...can't wait....CamperDave :p

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
CamperDave said:
Your narrative makes me feel as though I was with you guys....and wonderful photos to go along with your report.....
Friend Dave,

Hiz pichurs aint bad, but after ya been on expedishun with the High Sheriff ya see hiz tales iz kinda spicy. Best ta take 'em with a grain a salt. :mrgreen:

regards,
bearridge
paddlin' geezer canoe clud

The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life. Theodore Roosevelt

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I use to go twice a year and sometimes three times a year back in the 60's and 70's but lately it is only when the mood strikes me or someone say's .... Lets go.

My favorite times were before all of that area (Marco) got built up and everything was still wild and natural. Actually I should say before the Mackle Brothers wrecked the area. :twisted:

Today I am more into fresh water and all of the rivers we have around here in Florida.... Even some that are out of the state.

Chuck.

gatorbait

Feb 20, 2006
around~n~about
oldsparkey said:
I use to go twice a year and sometimes three times a year back in the 60's and 70's
Chuck.

I grew up along Florida's west coast but never made it to the Glades until the last 10 years or so. I bet you had some great fishing in the 60's down that way.
My time was spent more up toward Crystal River back then.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Actually it was more like the middle 50's when we were started going down there..... Dad found it and what fun it was. Later in life then I would go down by myself and still do.

Crossing over the bridge at Goodland was a bait, gas and grocery shop and nothing more. Then into Marco and the only place to stay was at Kelly Gants Motel Marco and the only shop was the grocery store (for better words) at the North end of the island by the Big Marco Pass and what we called the snook hole. The rest of the island was a barren land and Caxaimbus pass was nothing more then a dirt road and a turn around but boy could you get the Tarpon at the tide change.

It was a different world back then and one any fisherman would kill for to be there. The dunes all along the island were just as God made them, not a single home, condo or anything.......... Want to beach camp, you had the whole area and only one dirt road led over to the beach.

By the way ......... Back then in the dark ages Snook were considered a trash fish so they netted them and sold them for fertilizer. The locals called them Soap Fish because if you do not skin them and cook them then they have a soap flavor. Anyone from outside the area sport fishing for snook was consided as a mental patient.......and toatl nut's which was a good thing ..... The locals stayed a long distance from you and this was back in the drug smuggling days of that area with some hard core caracters out on the water who would kill you just as fast as saying ...HI... :D

Out fishing you HAD to have a weapon with you......Back then besides keeping the locals at bay a 38 with wad cutters was the ideal way to get bait for fishing....... Shoot about an itch off the head of a needlefish or ballyhoo and it stuns them so you can pick them up and later use them to get a big snook. Or in dad's case a large gray sea gull....... What a fight it gave him, we got it in and released it..... but that is a long story.. :wink:

Chuck.