Exciting ride | SouthernPaddler.com

Exciting ride

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Decided to make a couple hour trip on a local lake. I loaded up headed out,it was hot and not much wind.
I tried drifting shrimp ,never got a tap so I went shad hunting . I found a point loaded with shad
beached the yak and cast netted some. I tried drifting where the shad were and the bite was on.
Caught 4 keepers (channels) and 2 mudcat in about thirty minutes. I noticed a storm building and lighting in the distance. I watched the storm get closer then the wind hit,in just a couple minutes had three foot waves white capping. Time to go,put the yak up on the bank made sure everything was tied off. I wouldn't go straight across the lake so I quartered into the waves and started across..3/4 of the way across I saw a boat coming out from the bank,he ran up close to me and hollered ask if I was ok. told him thanks but I was fine. I got closer to the bank I needed to land on I turned with the waves and surfed into the area I needed to load.The yak handled everything great I didnt get a drop in the cockpit.
After I loaded up I went to the campsite of the guy that had come out and checked on me,thanked him and gave the cats and shad to him.
There are still a lot of nice folks out there.
Ron