Exploring Bayou Grosbec | SouthernPaddler.com

Exploring Bayou Grosbec

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
I made a paddling trip this morning up Bayou Grosbec. Pronounced GROW- beck. Yellow crowned night heron to all you non-Cajuns. Really nice scenery as soon as you leave the landing. About a quarter mile down the bayou forks off into a bunch of sloughs.. These were at the entrance to one of them.

groupcyp.jpg

Paddled further up the slough.

paddfloat.jpg

Thats my spare kayak paddle floating in front of the tree. There's probably another foot of width on each side of the tree base below water level.

Did some more exploring and then pulled over to a quasi-legal spoil bank to make some tea. TECHNICALLY, you have a right to get out on shore up to the normal high water mark. BUT, that mark might be a half mile back in the woods. Don't try explaining that to the guy who paid the hunting lease dues.

This is my little day mess kit. Probably wouldn't have to add too much else for a couple of day trip.

kitclosed.jpg

insidekit.jpg

kitspread.jpg

The red bottle holds enough alcohol for about three pots of tea, coffee, noodles,chilli -anything you just have to heat up or boil water for.

Saw a bunch of birds, woodducks, owls and jumped up 2 deer laying up on some tiny humps in the swamp. With the graphite coating, the pirogue slides over or through just about any kind of water plant or floating log. I brought the hammock with me, but it got too hot too fast and the skeeters were out in force, so I didn't put it up. It was an enjoyable trip.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Exploring Bayou Grobec

Those cypress swamps all look kinda alike, don't they. Reminds me of cedar swamps up here - see one and you've pretty much seen'em all. I like your billy kit. Good man - Earl Grey tea. Gentlemen drink Earl Gray.

I started carrying a beat up aluminum pie pan to set the twig stove in. Makes a nice little camp fire if wood is scarce. Katie burnt marshmallows just as well as on a big fire.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Really like your neck of the woods , reminds me of the spots around here I like to get lost in for a few days and just relax. :D I bet you have cooked some good chow up in that kit , what Cajun wouldn't do that.

As far as the graphite on the pirogue , Isn't that stuff something nice when you get into the weeds , it's like having 4 wheel drive on the boat.

Chuck.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana

That wind screen for the alcohol stove is the ticket. I adjust the opening to allow 1/4" of space all around the pot. The heat goes around the bottom of the pot and up the sides transferring a lot more heat. A couple of tablespoons of fuel and about 3 minutes to a rolling boil. I'm going to start experimenting with a simmer ring for the stove. Now, when you light it, it's wide open til it runs out of fuel - probably not good for bacon and eggs.

This little stove is about the best bang for the buck out there. Costs nothing to make and a $1.00 bottle of alcohol can probably cook quick meals for one person for a week.

Joey

By the way, this is a grosbec.

yellowcrownednightheron1sm.jpg