Fall means it's time for chili | SouthernPaddler.com

Fall means it's time for chili

JEM

Was hankering some corn bread and tried to get my wife to make some. She said if I wanted cornbread, I had to make some chili. I think I got the harder part of the deal. Anyway, tried this one: http://www.famouschilirecipes.com/DayBefore.html

Day Before Chili Recipe

This chili recipe is called the Day Before recipe because it's better when you cook it the day before and let it refrigerate overnight!
Day Before Chili Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
• 1 Tablespoon olive oil
• 2 medium onions, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, minced
• 3/4 Teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 7 Tablespoons chili powder
• 2 Teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 Teaspoon hot pepper sauce
• 2 15 to 16oz cans of red kidney beans (drained)
• 1 15oz can diced tomatoes
• 1 15oz can tomato sauce
• 6 oz beer (1/2 can)
• 3 Tablespoons ground cumin
• 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Day Before Chili Recipe Directions

Cook ground beef in olive oil with onion, garlic, salt and pepper until browned well in a large pot. Break up meat with spatula as you cook. Drain off fat. Add bell peppers, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and hot pepper sauce. Continue to cook on low heat for 3 mins while stirring. After 3 minutes, add the remaining ingredients and gently bring to a boil. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes then turn off heat and allow to cool. Reheat when ready to eat. Serve with grated cheese and chopped onions.

Some modifications I did:
1) That recipe calls for WAY too much chili powder for our house (forgive me Texans). So I used only 2 tablespoons. 1 tablespoon of cumin too.
2) Mixed in a little ground pork and turkey
3) Used black beans instead of kidney beans and dumped the juice from can in the pot.
4) Whole bottle of beer.

Turned out pretty good with the Jiffy cornbread ... which I had to make too! :wink:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Matt,
I let the wife look at your chili fixins. She said that that looked like a good recipie. She said that she only uses a couple of teaspoons of chili powder also. She said that you take chili to the next level with red pepper and jalapenos. Temp. can drop 5 degrees and she's making chili.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You used the juice and the Black beans in the chili as a substitute for the Kidney beans.
, never have tried that.
I always use kidney beans and drain the juice from them , rinse them and then toss them in the pot.

2 cans of kidney beans
2 cans of the stewed tomatoes with the bell pepper and onion in them
1 large onion chopped
A couple chunks of garlic , chopped.
lots of hamburger or a hamburger and ground turkey mix , fried , salt and peppered , grease drained and then the meat in the pot.
Salt & Pepper along with chili pepper to taste , normally a good helping.
Add some water and simmer all day.....adding water as it evaporates and just before serving a can of beer is added.

Left overs , I add Macaroni ( elbow) and reheat everything with more chili powder. The Macaroni will take some of the heat out of the spices.
Or you can place all of it in a baking dish to reheat it in the oven. If you use the oven , add a little water to it and some shredded cheese over the top. :D

Chuck.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Mrs. B made chili again last night. Was DANG good. :D :D Sometimes she used beans in it, sometimes rict, sometimes nothing. She will put fritos on the table if anybody wants some (Frito Pie). Texas ya know.
Bob