Families, Holidays, and Meals | SouthernPaddler.com

Families, Holidays, and Meals

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
My Son and his family are coming to visit. We're thinking a ham dinner etc. Breakfast can be hashbrowns (Golden Grill freeze dried ones) and cheese-spinach omelettes. Relaxing in an evening might incude some wine or single malt.

Doesn't look good for losing weight. sigh

What are menus going to be like in your homes?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We are having a breakfast of eggs , scrambled for me and over easy for the wife . Bacon for me and sausage for the wife , Grits for me with a pat of butter in the center and Hash brown for the wife , Both of us will have sour dough bread with Orange marmalade and butter on the toast. Naturally all of it will be followed up with lots of good Hot Coffee.
I found a easy way to make a breakfast like this without breaking a sweat , we go to the IHop. Yep , they are open Christmas morning and I have some packages for the folks who work there. It's something the wife and I like to do.

After the kids get here , probably around 11:00 A.M.
Appetizers , a veg tray and my Pimento Cheese spread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=397 with Ritz Crackers. While we open presents.

Lunch or a early supper , what ever you want to call it.
Rob is going to show me how to make a Brew-master pie which is a meat pie with all sorts of stuff in it. Funny thing about the pie and it's name of Brew-master , there is nothing alcoholic in it. My guess is that is in the cook or cooks. :lol:
Green sting beans on the side with Apple Sauce a tossed salad and naturally lots of good fresh homemade hot rolls with butter. For desert a Pumpkin Pie and a Mincemeat pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Beverages will be your choice of the following ..... Krackin Rum ( 94 proof dark rum ) and root beer [ 1 shot rum to 3 shots root beer with ice and it is dam good ] , Southern Comfort ( 100 proof ) over ice , Bourbon ( 80 proof ) and coke or just Bourbon over ice , dark wine , light wine , Dr.Pepper over ice or Diet Pepsi over ice. Naturally there will be lots of some good ice cold spring water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Wannabe said:
I will have to try the rum and root beer. We always have Christmas dinner at my Sisters house. About Monday I will thaw the ham and put it on to brine for New Years.
Bob

Bob....

Two years ago the wife and I went over to the kids place for Christmas. While we were there Rob asked me if I would like some Rum and Root Beer , I thought he had lost his mind but said OK anyway. I figured they had run out of Coke or just did not have any Coke since they like Dr.Pepper or Diet Pepsi. He handed me the rum and root beer , over ice , it was a surprise how good that drink is.
Last year for Christmas they did not know what to get me so they asked and I made it simple for them .... A Big Bottle of the Kracken Black Spiced Rum and a six pack of Root Beer. Use real Root Beer not the diet krap. :D

New Years ....
I have the bone with meat attached and a good portion of ham along with the juices in the freezer from the spiral cut ham I fixed for the Thanksgiving meal. Will boil it all down in a big pot , then remove the bone and add Onion , Black Eye Peas, Celery and some Carrots and let it cook. On the side a pot of rice ready to have with the ham and pea mix , add the amount of rice you want. :D
Plus a pan of Corn Bread ready to eat so it is nice and hot to go with the Hopping John.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I can see that breakfasts are going to be more involved than just my usual protein drink. Today, we bought jugs of yogurt and packs of berries. Hmmm.

In retribution, I may do some potato pancakes with real maple syrup. (Jiffy Mix/Bisquick for pancakes, add some grated raw potato & grated raw onion. May need to add more milk in mix? Mix all of it thoroughly, and make some of the best pancakes you EVER ate. JARVIS good eatin!)

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
oldsparkey said:
Wannabe said:
I will have to try the rum and root beer. We always have Christmas dinner at my Sisters house. About Monday I will thaw the ham and put it on to brine for New Years.
Bob

Bob....

Two years ago the wife and I went over to the kids place for Christmas. While we were there Rob asked me if I would like some Rum and Root Beer , I thought he had lost his mind but said OK anyway. I figured they had run out of Coke or just did not have any Coke since they like Dr.Pepper or Diet Pepsi. He handed me the rum and root beer , over ice , it was a surprise how good that drink is.
Last year for Christmas they did not know what to get me so they asked and I made it simple for them .... A Big Bottle of the Kracken Black Spiced Rum and a six pack of Root Beer. Use real Root Beer not the diet krap. :D

New Years ....
I have the bone with meat attached and a good portion of ham along with the juices in the freezer from the spiral cut ham I fixed for the Thanksgiving meal. Will boil it all down in a big pot , then remove the bone and add Onion , Black Eye Peas, Celery and some Carrots and let it cook. On the side a pot of rice ready to have with the ham and pea mix , add the amount of rice you want. :D
Plus a pan of Corn Bread ready to eat so it is nice and hot to go with the Hopping John.
Chuck,
Put the cornbread batter in the waffle iorn and cook it. Put the waffled cornbread on the plate and fill the holes with juice then spoon the peas on top of it. That works good on red beans, navy beans, or butter beans.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Chuck,
Put the cornbread batter in the waffle iorn and cook it. Put the waffled cornbread on the plate and fill the holes with juice then spoon the peas on top of it. That works good on red beans, navy beans, or butter beans.
Bob

I like to add some cornbread to the mix as I eat it and this is a great way to accomplish that. :D

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Chuck. That's what we having for dinner bacon sasauge grits and eggs. Just she is cooking instead of the hop. Wanted something easy and different. Hope all of yal geezers have a merry Christmas.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Visiting family - departed.
House - quiet again
Memories - warm, pleasant.
Presents - nice, reassuring, enjoyable.
Plans and aspirations - let's keep on doing this!

Holidays, families, and friends all go together like roast beef and mashed potatoes, ice cream and chocolate syrup, dill pickles and hamburgers, . . . . . sigh

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Oh My Gosh! That was sooo goood. Kracken dark spiced rum and root beer. Mixed it 3 to 1 as per the instructions and it was kinda blaah. Put in a half a part to 3/4 a part more of run and it was good. any more and it would have been a butt knocker. As I mixed it slow sipping was just right for a one drink a night. Drink it fast would probably spin the room for ya. :mrgreen: Man, that was good. Thanks Chuck.
Bob

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
We went to my sister's house for crawfish stew, ham, roast beef and all of the trimmings. Crawfish stew has been our family's holiday meal for 50 years. When both of my parents were alive, they would cook 12 lbs of crawfish tails in a huge cast iron pot. We've ventured out into turkey over the years, but always came back to crawfish.

Just curious.... We always called the big noon meal "dinner" and the evening meal "supper". Depending on where you're from, if someone invites you for dinner, you better check the time.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
I too was raised on breakfast, dinner, and supper. Somewhere in school, the noonday meal became lunch. An evening meal called supper was simple, or plain, and only with the immediate family. If it was a bit sumptious, or with others at the table, it was a dinner.