Father & Son & "The Learning Curve"... | SouthernPaddler.com

Father & Son & "The Learning Curve"...

WDfrmTN

...or "BUB" (Butt Ugly Boat).
11 year old and I started, and so far we are up to hulled in, outer rails on, inner rails almost done, & outer hull painted.
Sorry...kept forgeting to take pics up to now, but will post some Thursday.
Did some 'strange' things, as we used mostly what was "laying around". Made a few mistakes, which I'll point out in the upcoming pics.

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Hay, Don't point out the "special mods" we like to find them on our own.

It's sorta like one of those games where you have to find 5 different things in a picture.

Don't spoil our fun.

Just post the pics of your FINE LOOKING boat.

WDfrmTN

Okay, then fellas, pics sans captions!

You guys can do the "fill-in"!

BUB001.jpg

BUB002.jpg

BUB003.jpg

BUB004.jpg

BUB005.jpg

BUB006.jpg

BUB007.jpg

BUB008.jpg

BUB010.jpg

BUB011.jpg

WDfrmTN

Thanks, Jack! Only thing I screwed up on was not documenting it for the home-school records...means we gotta build another one! :wink:

Karl is pretty forgiving and reasonable...where I mis-measured the center board I added, it made sort of a hexagon "box" between UJ's two mid-ribs. The kid started telling me how hexagons are strong, how honey bees use them, etc., etc.. (I think he was trying to make ol' Daddy feel better).

WDfrmTN

YUP! :lol:

Well, about the boat, we really did use "what was laying around". The Luan is some that was in the garage when we bought the place (probably have enough left for another pirogue). It's less than 1/4", a bit over 3/16 (to these old eyes)...some metric stuff, I think.
The outer rails are from a bundle of trim that was in the barn, left over from building the house (how we formed that I'll let you guess!).
About all we bought were the UJ kit with extra rib (I have no table saw), the lattice strips for the inner rails, the fibreglass stuff and the outer hull paint and trim paint (The inner hull paint will be a gallon of grey exterior paint we found in the barn.). Oh, my Daddy had two cans of resin left over he gave us, too.
We still have less than $200 in it!

WDfrmTN

Bellybuster said:
I see no flaws.... I too built my pirogue from stuff laying around. Made it all the more special to me

Only sughgestion I have for you is get some safety glasses on the young feller when blowing out the debris with compressed air.
Yup on the glasses...they would fit right with the mask. Need to find some kid-size dust masks where he can wear both.

WDfrmTN

Well we got the two UJ center ribs and my center bottom board glassed, and the interior painted with resin. Started sanding a bit last night.
Still need to fit the fore/aft (which is which?) deckplates, finish painting, wax it, and make the paddles.

I'm getting impatient!

WDfrmTN

Well, we sanded the inside, then took it out in the yard to wash it down good, inside & out.
I couldn't resist the temptation....float tested it in the pool!
While I was standing in it, showing Karl how strong it is and how far it would heel, I got over-centered and fell out :lol:
I'll get some pics up when I get home.