Favorite Air Rifle Target | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Favorite Air Rifle Target

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
Ozarks of N. Central Arkansas
jdupre' said:
Bear, I guess I was lucky. I bought a tin of cheap Daisy pellets and the gun did not like them at all. I happened to spot a tin of Crossman Premium Pointed hunting pellets at a local Ace hardware and tried them. The gun turned into a good shooter. I had a few Daisy Copperheads left from years back and put 5 into 3/8" at 15 yards. Haven't been able to find them locally, but I could always go online.

I oughta just think about a post for a while before sending it----I keep thinking of issues I failed to address. So----2nd edit.

Most, if not all, of the pellets Daisy sells these days are produced by El Gamo in Spain. The quality of their pellets compares favorably to their guns. 8) Altho to be completely honest I once owned a supremely accurate El Gamo. It was the Model 126, a mid '80s Olympic qualifier------with a Walther barrel. :lol:

If your 880 likes pointed pellets you're double lucky. Pointed pellets have a deserved reputation for being the least accurate nose shape because of production difficulties associated with achieving both dynamic and aerodynamic balance, i,e.---they tend to wobble in flight.

The daisy pellets that produced the 3/8" group may have been 15-20 years old. At one time (up 'til @ 15 years ago) Daisy made some pretty good wadcutters. Back then Daisy actually tested each batch for quality using a pair of Feinwerkbau ISU target rifles mounted in machine rests less stocks. The best batches were then graded as target quality. Up until a few years ago I owned one of the Feinwerkbaus that became surplus after quality testing became passe'. Just cocking and loading it preparatory to shooting was a transcendental experience for mechanical junkies like myself. Made a Swiss watch seem crude.

The 3/8" group is very credible indeed!

Check your local Wally-world to see if they stock the Crosman Match wadcutter flat nose. They seem very consistant and shoot well in a LOT of my guns. Cheap too-----sorta like myself tho my phrase is 'fiscal conservative'. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Friend Tom,

I picked up a tin of Crossman "wadcutter premium grade" at the Sam Walton store. I figgered the Walther will like 'em. I kin test 'em agin the Crossman Premier Lights, but then, I reckon ya already done that. How did the compare? When I flipped the tin over, it warned that the pellets cause birth defects in California. I knew somethin' wuz wrong out there. Jeez....no tellin' what other stuff does ta them folks. [grin]

regards
bearridge

In 1796 George Washington wrote to Alexander Hamilton: "The nation which indulges towards another an habitual hatred, or an habitual fondness, is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from it duty and interest." That neatly sums up the Euro-American relationship: the United States has become a slave to its habitual if largely misplaced fondness for Europe, while Europe has become a slave to its habitual if entirely irrational hatred for America. Mark Steyn

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
bearridge said:
Ole Friend Tom,

<I picked up a tin of Crossman "wadcutter premium grade" at the Sam Walton store. I figgered the Walther will like 'em. I kin test 'em agin the Crossman Premier Lights, but then, I reckon ya already done that. How did the compare? >

Good grief! Surely you don't think I could remember! :eek: :oops: :D But they're sure worth a try if the Crosman beancounters haven't figured out how to cheapen them . :(

<When I flipped the tin over, it warned that the pellets cause birth defects in California. I knew somethin' wuz wrong out there. Jeez....no tellin' what other stuff does ta them folks.>

Shallow gene pools tend in that direction. :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
I got an idea. My Apple computer jest crashed....lost ever dang thing on it. So I asked myself "what if Tom crashes?" Kin we download yer hard drive soon? I hear Apple haz a "time machine"....what if we hook one up ta ya 'n ........hmmm......aint sho what comes next, but I bet it will take wires hooked up all over. I better call the Shade Tree Medikle Clinic staff fer a pow wow. Wonder if they got a "how to" video on downloadin' the hard drives in folks' minds?

So far there aint a heap a airgunners on here, but I got a dollar sez there will be more.....unless the guviment outlaws airguns 'n steak knives. [Likely start in California.] After the High Sheriff goes on down the river of no return, if the forum iz still here (like James Kitchings'), some little pardners will thank ya fer all the fine info. Like the united negro college fund sez "a mind iz a terrible thing ta waste".

respectfully
bearridge

It is by the goodness of God that, in this country, we have three benefits: freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either. Mark Twain

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
One thing I had to start thinking about shooting small targets was an accurate judge of the distance to the target. At first I had the gun sighted in at 35 yards. That left me quite a hold UNDER at 20 yards. 5 yards off on distance is plenty enough for a miss. After plugging my stats into the trajectory chart on Air Rifle Links and Demos, I figured it would be better for me to sight in at 25 yards. This gives me less than 3/4" hold under max at about 15 yards. I can hold almost dead on from about 8 yards to about 27 yards. Kinda like sighting a .270 a couple inches high at 100 yards-- hold on center of kill zone from the muzzle to 300 yards or so.

Shooting high up in my cypress trees also demands allowances for less drop due to the steep angle. Lots to think about. 8)

Joey

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Aug 25, 2003
jdupre' said:
I figured it would be better for me to sight in at 25 yards. This gives me less than 3/4" hold under max at about 15 yards. I can hold almost dead on from about 8 yards to about 27 yards.

Great minds think alike. :D :wink: That's what I've been doing for ages. It just works! One exception----I like to sight in at 30 yds. for turkeys since it's hard to get closer than that and I restrict it to head shots at under 35 yds.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Want to have some fun shooting,get a hot glue gun,glue wintergreen life savers on a piece of card board,5 up each side
shoot against someone ,shot for shot, you have to break the front edge ,after ten shot or if one shooter does it in less the match is over the winners go against the winners losers against the loser.
20 yards shooting off hand
We ran this tournament in my bow shop with archery equipment was a blast.
Ron

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Animal crackers 'er soda crackers make fun targets fer a pellet gun....I like the lifesaver idea, but I reckon all mine would go thru the hole. [grin] I got so many pecan trees that I shoot pecans off the top of my handmade target stand. The squirrels loved ta come in 'n clean up at later. Pecan fattened tree rats taste good too. [chuckle] Some folks like ta shoot ping pong balls 'er golf balls. House sparrows make good 15 yards scope targets. Offhand I mite miss 'n shoot up anuther bird feeder. Ever built a titanium, squirrel proof feeder? [grin]