Femat Kayak | SouthernPaddler.com

Femat Kayak

Banoe

Apr 4, 2004
Southeastern Pa.
I pulled a fiber glass kayak out of a dumpster a couple of weeks ago. It is a Femat Kayak made in Canada I was wondering if any one here would have any info or history on it. The kayak is fairly old i would say 70's ish. 14' long and skinny very light could be a racing or whitewater boat.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you put Femat Kayaks in the Google search you will find your question along with someone wanting to sell one for $400.00. Did not locate anything about the kayak but did locate someone who has one.
It might pay you to contact him.

Here is the link... http://www.talkaboutboats.com/group/ott ... /6916.html

Here is what he has to say.
The Femat Ultima is a fast wildwater/downriver type kayak for an
experienced paddler.
The fiberglass is in good shape, but some has been exposed by the gelcoat lifting in a few loonie-size spots. The seat/footpeg has been sized for someone about 6' tall.

I'm selling it because I had three sea-kayaks, this kayak, and a canoe.
I've sold my Valley Nordkapp and this is the next to go so I'll have storage space come winter.
My bet is that it is from a business that went out of business or was purchased by some other company....

Chuck.

Banoe

Apr 4, 2004
Southeastern Pa.
Jack, They were made in Ontario Canada Shelborne I think.
I glassed a layer of 3.25T to the bottom on Friday to fill all the holes and cracks and went for a paddle on Saturday. Well it sure isn't a flat water kayak wouldn't track for beans only time it likes to go straight is when it is paddled hard enough to sink the stern and boy is it fast.

garps

May 26, 2009
Just found your posting. I am interested in getting this kayak as I was trained by Emil Maschek, the owner and founder of Femat Fibreglass from Shelbourne, Ontario. It was active during the 70's and his boats were built the old fashioned way with hand laid fibreglass. He used to come to the University of Waterloo and give free kayal lessons and that is how I met him. He was a wonderful man with somewhat dated and heavy boats and supplies. Please tell me more of the boat, where you are and so on. If I can be of any further support, please let me know.

Duncan

Jul 21, 2009
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Just found this forum and delighted to find discussion on Femat kayaks. Started kayaking back in 1973 when we bought a couple of TR-2 kayaks from Emile Maschek in Shelbourne, Ontario. They didn't track very well but they sure were fun. Used them for years before passing them along to a friend. Been through a "fleet" of sea kayaks since and now paddle Current Designs Solstice GT and GTS from our home on Vancouver Island, Canada. We owe the TR-2s a lot - many, many fond memories and thankful for Emile's product.

kamberliya

Jul 21, 2009
How can I carry my kayak on top of my car? I just got a new car so I have to find a new way to carry my kayak. I don't have a roof rack. I would like to consider getting the J type carriers but I think they have to be attached to a roof rack. Is my only option to use the grey foam pieces and strap it down? I was hoping to get another kayak down the road and be able transport both of them together on top of my car.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you plan on transporting two kayaks in the future I would suggest a Yakima rack or a Thule. The initial cost is pretty high but they last forever and you know your boat is secure on them.

Either one depends on the make and model of your vehicle for a custom fit.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The Yakima Q Towers fit one car 'er one truck after ya buy the special clips fer the one ya drive. If ya git anuther car, ya jest buy the special clips fer it. Q Towers latch and lock so the evil doers caint steal 'em off yer roof. I figger Thule makes a good one too.....that works purty much the same way.

This iz one of them times when ya kin save some money 'n make yer life eazier in the long run if ya bite the bullet now.....kinda like buyin' a cheap rifle scope til someday ya git a Leupold. [grin]

I did not follow that advice......like most folks.....but it iz the best path. [sigh]

regards
bearridge

ps If ya gotta, buy the foam blocks 'n start savin' yer dough fer a Yakima 'er a Thule. I posted a pichur a few days ago which shows how many expert mechanical folks it takes ta put a Yakima rack on a pickup. lol

The Americans are certainly great hero-worshipers, and always take their heros from the criminal classes. Oscar Wilde 

doggy69247

May 8, 2010
Hi i just found a kayak like that myself its verry tippy in the water but very fast mines red on top white on buttom im restoring it it was found in an abandoned house covered in grass for many years

i looked it up and all i could find was your question

mine has JTR painted on it im assuming thats the guy it was made for

Tel 519.925.5004

femat custom fiberglass mfg

highway 24 RR3
sheleurne ontario
:D

spelling of the town may be allittle incorrect theres heavy fiberglass over the label inside

lookslikework

May 10, 2010
Hi, y'all - I'm new here, having just turned up this forum and post on a google of Femat.

I'm also not a paddler - I sail instead - but just snagged a freebie Femat for my wife, who
wants to use it for lake paddling. For its age, it appears to be in pretty good shape, if
you ignore the so-so yellow paint job over the original (?) baby blue. I've got a couple of
questions, though.

First, the folks we got it from said that it needed "baffles" installed - styrofoam flotation
blocks. Is this true? If so, how big?

And looking into the bow from the cockpit, I can see a couple of little support straps
glassed in, about where one's feet reach. Is there supposed to be something here like
a footrest? If so, does anyone have pictures that might help me fabricate something
appropriate?

Thanks very much.

Jonathan
Calgary

Nami

Oct 30, 2023
I bought the femat canoe in the early 70's - still have it!! posted on Femat Canoe