Fibreglassing bow and stern | SouthernPaddler.com

Fibreglassing bow and stern

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
Normally I don’t have too much of a problem in wetting out fibreglass cloth. I just pour epoxy onto the cloth and spread it out with a plastic spreader. I then squeegee off the excess. The problem I have had is where I lay cloth over a wetted out cloth. For example when glassing around the bow I finish the cloth on one side and wrap the cloth on the other side around the bow and overlap the first side an inch or two. The problem I have is that where the overlap exists it tends to turn out a sort of milky white. This is probably caused by minute bubbles in the epoxy. This is an annoying little problem and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to overcome it or what I am doing wrong.

jpsaxnc

Jan 28, 2012
Hi Roger, If it was minute bubbles in the resin they should be every where, it sounds like the resin might not be wetting through completely on the over lapped areas?

john the pom

Jul 30, 2007
Queensland
Had the same problem in similar areas. I think its to do with overworking the resin and the tendency of the cloth to resist wrapping around sharp corners. The cloth seems to be pulling itself away from the side that you've just wrapped around the corner. Only fix I could think of would be to not wrap around the sharp bow/stern but to work right up to it then add extra layer(s) for strength as the previous layers harden up.
Cheers John.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I think we are supposed to have at least a 1/8" radius on all corners for glass to stick.
I've experienced the millions and billions of tiny bubbles between layers sometimes. If you stick a layer down, pick it up, and relay it - you'll likely have those little bubbles clouding the finish.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Sometimes that milky white substance is if a person works the epoxy to long , especially if it is starting to set up ( getting tacky ) .
It has happen to me when brushing epoxy into a area ( Normally a area with a sharp bend in it ) and I keep working the area with the brush. I found that if I leave it alone it will clear up.

Chuck.

Roger

Nov 20, 2011
Far South Coast NSW Australia
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I have been over zealous and I know I have been guilty of lifting and relaying the cloth in trying to achieve the neatest possible finish. Guess I'll just have to improve my skills at the pointy bits.

Cheers