finished pirogue w/ pics | SouthernPaddler.com

finished pirogue w/ pics

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
Just finished my UJ pirogue. I built it exactly to plans except for the obvious changes which are purely cosmetic.
I made a few mistakes, mainly with the fiberglassing. But not bad for a first timer and I know next time I can get it right. For some reason I didn't understand that I could glass the entire outside and inside with one sheet of cloth and I used a whole bunch of pieces spliced together. I also glassed over the ribs. Needless to say, after the first coat of epoxy it was obvious the boat would look best painted. Still, its suprising what several coats of epoxy and alot of sanding will do.
Since it wasn't going to be the pretty wood boat I had in my head, we decided to make it the "kids boat". This is what we came up with.
The "head" is made of pink styrofoam, shaped then covered w/ epoxy and glass. We also have a pair of removable pectoral fins and a tail, but haven't got them glassed yet.
We've got two other boats, but this is the favorite and it get the most attention (and grins to).
Thanks to Old Sparky and all who answered questions and provided feedback. I can't wait to start on another. Maybe a skiff, or a kayak, or canoe, or another pirogue...........

Thanks again, madtom

PS - this is my very first time to upload photos, so if it doesn't work, or the pictures are the wrong size or of poor quality, would someone mind helping me post the pics?

boat2.jpg

boat1.jpg

kids1.jpg

dace2.jpg

madtom

Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for the kind words jack.
The PFD's won't match unless I can I find them in army green or sun yellow. The girls actually have theirs on, but its hard to tell in the photo. (they're pink)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
madtom.....

I hope you don't mind but I took the liberty of posting the pictures so they would show and not being a click on link...

Thanks for keeping them at a decent size so the guys on dial up can see them with out taking all day to do it. :D

Chuck.
PS. Great job and you have some happy paddlers in those pctures.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Tom, - years ago, Canoe & Kayak asked readers to tell about their favorite canoe. They expected answers to converge around length, design, material of construction, etc. Never happened.

Letter after letter recounted memories of good items in a cone - and THAT canoe became their favorite. Memories of kids at some cottage, diving off of and swimming around some old canoe. Fishing trips across the lake, or to new territory. Honeymoons spent traveling in a canoe. Etc. etc.

Those kids will treasure memories of this boat all their lives. And one or two of them will replicate it for their kids. Good on ya, mate!