1. The forums software has been upgraded and we are still sorting out its quirks.
    Please relay any problems you encounter. Thanks for your patience!
    Dismiss Notice

first buck of season

Discussion in 'Shooting , Hunting , Air Rifles , Bows & Arrows' started by catfish, Oct 18, 2014.

1. catfish

catfish Well-Known Member

well got a nice 6 point this morning he weighed 155 pounds. he came running up from behind me. believe they are in rut right now. didn't know if I wanted to take my 223 or my shotgun. so I took my old reliable 870 with some # 1 buck shot. :D I wouldn't been able to get a shot off with my rifle. so cant wait to fry up some fresh venison. may make a pot roast out of the neck. got a little bit for freezer too. :D :wink:

2. Kayak Jack

Kayak Jack Well-Known Member

Good going. #1 buck is about the same diameter as your .223?

3. tx river rat

tx river rat Well-Known Member

Good for you Cat some good eating there.
    0 buck .32 00 buck.33 000 buck .36
    Ron

4. catfish

yea KY jack the only thing he was running and I would have to got him in my scope. I only had a small window of opportunity. Ron I had #1 first shot 00 second and third shots. the # 1 have a few more pellets. they are defiantly in rut my son was on road last night a woman hit the doe in front of him and my son hit the buck. nocked one of his lights out . didn't find either one. may fry up some deer heart and back strap tonight. :D :wink:

5. oldsparkey

oldsparkey Well-Known Member

Cooler weather , fresh Venison , mashed potatoes , gravy , some greens and Cornbread ( I hope ) that is some good living. :D

6. catfish

yep chuck all that is good, don't forget the sweet potatoes ( yams) yum yum :) :) :wink:

going back in the morning hopefully I get another one or a porker? off all this week took a vac from that 4 letter word. maybe do some fishing ? just get some r&r

7. tx river rat

catfish
    how many can you harvest there?
    Ron

8. catfish

dang bad as I hate to say it another one bit the dust today .he bumped his head . :roll: :wink: :mrgreen: got a spike . he came in front of me and actually I thought it was a doe. thought I had seen another deer so I hit the grunt and he came straight to me around 50ft. that's where he made a mistake. :lol: ole 870 paid off again. :D :lol: this morning I had doe in heat out (tinks) and again was using the grunt. man this grunting is paying off this year. I have tried it a lot but never had any luck except a five point years ago. guess the rut is on right now and I've found a honey hole. :D :?:

T Rat you can get two bucks and ten does. I'm doing good if I get about four in a season. have to really work hard to get them.

9. Kayak Jack

Dang, Catfish - if it works that well on deer, you should maybe adapt it to call in gals. Now there would be a seller! :wink:

10. tx river rat

Catfish
    Is it Alab that you can take up to 104 deer a year?
    Ron

11. catfish

KY Jack I already have one for that. it worked on my wife about 32 yrs ago. :D :lol: :mrgreen: yep when that buck is in rut it gets him in trouble. :( :mrgreen:

Tx rat I don't know if its Alabama? think in south Carolina you can kill one a day. how many is your limits?

12. oldsparkey

Ain't that life for you , thinking about the females of the species and chasing them always gets the guy's in some form of trouble. Either Shot or Married and I am not sure which is the worse. :lol:

13. Kayak Jack

You can get a gunshot wound patched and healed.

14. catfish

well instead of going to my hunting club I decided to go to the river in my boat and hunt on the river with my son and a friend. a lot of times I have a chair I take and just set on the ground . well I hadn't even had a chance to set down and I spot some bacon coming my way a lot of bacon. :) there was about 6 0r 8 of them. unfortunately one the fat sows bumped her head while she was eating acorns. :D :lol: :mrgreen: she weighed around 125 pds? she was as fat as could be.

well I can say I have had a good week off from _ _ _ _. got two deer and a hog and some fish to go along with it. I have never seen 10 deer from one stand in one week since I have been hunting. guess I have it in a honey hole? also my son got a six point and a hog too. he took his friend and he killed a big 8 point and is getting him mounted.

15. oldsparkey

I heard about a blind hog finding an acorn now and then but never have heard of one bumping it's head on a hunter or a piece of lead.
    My guess is that a blind hog would bump it's head on a lot of things so it might be possible that it would or could bump it's head on a hunter if he was sitting real still in a chair , probably snoozing and not snoring. :roll:
    I'm thinking it bumped it's head on a piece of Lead instead. :lol:

16. tx river rat

Catfish
    We can kill 2 bucks and three does.
    I took a cull this weekend ( a spike ) with my bow.
    Next weekend is the start of gun season.
    Ron

17. oldsparkey

Never quite figured it out , a nice set of antlers is good for bragging rights but they are like footprints , you can't eat them.:roll:

We had a old time poacher around here that my partner and I chased all the time , caught him now and then. His favorite saying when asked if he got a deer was.... Got a nice 8 pointer just yesterday , all 8 points were straight down ( A Doe )

For you non hunters the deer have a divided hoof and the 4 hooves make 8 marks or points on the ground. ( not counting the dew claws which don't hit the ground all the time)

18. tx river rat

Texas has some weird laws that I dont agree with but they are what they are.
    You can kill a cull buck ( one unforked antler)
    A buck over 13 inches wide
    and three does
    Ron

19. oldsparkey

Back in the dark ages Florida during the Archery Season use to have what we nicknamed the Hungry Hunt. You could shoot anything except a spotted deer.
    I looked forward to that hunt every year.

20. catfish

chuck I have heard of the 8 points. :lol: yea we call the hunt your talking about is the camp meat hunt. :D :roll: :mrgreen: on the first day you go get anything for the camp.