First camping trip of 2009. | SouthernPaddler.com

First camping trip of 2009.

Well, yesterday was the first really decent day that we've had around here so me and a buddy went camping last night. Took the 14ft. Scandi White out for the first time since I inherited it from my Grandfather last year, to feel her out. Water was really high and throttle sticks a little. Spotlight cord had short so I had to play with that for a bit but no big deal. Stainless prop has different pitch so need to offset the little countersteering fin so it tracks a little more left. P-hose got ripped from the housing by some particularly nasty thorns in the backwater, and so it was peeing water into the hood all night, and didn't want to start on the way home this morning, but did. I had the end of the bilge pump hose too low and when it would dip below the water line, water would back wash into the rear of the boat, but that was an easy fix with a zip-tie. Not a dry spot around so had to set hammock above the boat and no fire so was cold all night, but otherwise was a good way to start the year! Only caught two channel cats but both were about 26" long and healthy, so I'll take that.

Anyway, just checking in.

KAW.