First paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

First paddle

Floatforfish

Aug 28, 2003
Gainesville, FL
Well, at 4:20pm on October 3, 2003, my first boat met the water for the first time:
DSCN1645.jpg

I put in at the High Springs ramp on the Sante Fe River under partly cloudy skies and a temp. of 80 with a nice breeze. I stopped on the way and picked up a wooden kayak paddle at my favorite shop. I thought it was only fitting that I had a wood paddle for my wood boat.

I headed up stream and took a small cut off to the right that I had never explored:
DSCN1647_1.jpg

It turned out that this was a approx. 1 mile long spring run. I paddled up and tried standing to pole. It turned out to be much easier than I thought. The boat has moderate initial stability and good overall stability and was very easy to pole with my paddle. It was nice to stretch my legs as well as be able so see. I even try getting into the boat from knee dee water and had no problem.
Of course I took my new 5wt fly rod and managed to cristen the boat with 2 small pan fish on poppers.

I floated downstream and tried my bent shaft canoe paddle. I found this to be easier to use downstream in the tight run. It was a beautiful area for sure:
DSCN1648.jpg

The boat seemed to track well and floats in less than 2 inches of water with me onboard!

As I floated back to the ramp, I was greeted by 3 people and got my first on the water questions about the boat. What a great feeling to say "I built it." when asked where I got it.

It was a steller first outing for sure. As I type this, the boat is on my car waiting to head out in the am for a taste of salt water and my girlfriends first trip. Details to follow.

Calm seas and tight lines.

Aaron

A

Anonymous

A Beauty

:roll: You are so right the natural wook color needs to show. The light blue color against the black bottom is striking. Great Job. Hope all goes well in the am