jesup, ga.
IM000438.jpg

IM000435-1-1.jpg

IM000445-1.jpg

caught a few specs and got a little bacon. no venison :(

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
That's a lot of fish to clean. YUCK! But, I'll bet you enjoyed them, ehh?
I've read about inbreeding with Russian red boars, and now wild pigs are not only bigger and faster, they attack instead of running, and survive the coldest of winters. May want to hunt from a tree stand?

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
jack the two i killed were sows around 125#,s they sure did make some good sausage. i walked up on them along with about 10 more head. they spooked and i shot them running with shotgun and rifle. yea you probally asking yourself what i,m doing with both . well i like to tote both of them have for several years. they do get heavy after awhile .

the one my some killed was a full grown sow also about (200#,s) worth? we gave his to a guy i used to work with that had a tree thata he had cut accidently kick back on him and paralized him from the waist down. he was always the outdoors type like us. he acted like he was glad to get it so i know it want go waisted . it makes you feel good when you can help someone like that. ive always heard its better to give than recieve.

yea i have killed some of the russian boars you talking about they are bigger and probally meaner.i wouldn,t want to walk up on one and corner him.

as for the specs yea they were good with some gritssss and some catfish stew i made also. :wink: :D with two people cleaning them it doesn,t take that long. yea chuck they were biting real good and striking every where.we caught them before that last front moved in. we lost several more and actuaclly ran out of bait. i think we had 41

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Good on ya for helping out that friend. You get a tip of my hat, and couple of "Atta boys!" for that.
I'm interested in the rifle & shotgun combo. Caliber & gauge? Type of ball & shot you like and why? And have you ever considered a shotgun and heavy bore pistol?
I've never hunted wild boars, so my first thought would be 12 ga with a 25"-26" barrel and 00 buck, backed up with a .357/.41.44 handgun. ....or, maybe just a .22 revolver to shoot my hunting partner in his foot so I could outrun him. :roll: I dunno.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
jack as for the shotun its a remington 870 pump 28" full choke . i mostly shoot #1,s or 00 bucks. some people prefer an automatic but ive always like the pump . that particular day i killed the two hogs i was also using my sons 223 rifle. i will probally get alot of bad looks from the serious deer hunters on here when i tell this. most of the time i also tote my remington bolt action 22 mag rifle with my shotgun.

yea i know its not leagle to deer hunt with (or speeding) but i have killed just as many hogs and deer with it if not more than my shotgun , some were 8 points . i do alot of walking or stalking and have both with me in the stand. if ones to far for the shotgun i always got a back up gun. :wink: :D i don,t shoot one just any where always in the head or neck. that way i dont mess no meat up. it always does the job. for its size the 22 mag hollow point is a bad little bullet. one day i may up grade to an 22 hornet,223 or 243 but i just like that mag. some people like the 270 more or less calibers but i just don,t think i need that where and how i hunt. now if i was hunting some where long range like texas ,out west yea i would definatly want something bigger.

the only other way i could have like both guns is the combo guns over and under with rifle and shotgun . but i think they are pricey may be you can take up a collection or donate me one. :wink: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
The 870 is a well proven game gun. I've never shot a .22 mag, so have no experience with it. Michigan is brush country, and you seldom see a shot over 100 yards, more usually well under that. A 12 ga and either 00 buck or a slug is a very good gun for here. So is a .30/30. Something light and fast like a .270 tends to bounce around in brush rather than plow on through. I always favored punkin slingers for brush.
I don't know how hard it is to put down a hog. I know that at butchering time, a standard .22 long rifle in the head does the job quite well. But, when one is excited and running, that's a different story. I've never gotten to cut up a hog either, but parts is parts I guess.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I have seen deer that were dropped at 100 yards with a 22 mag , it is one hot round. Down here it is the favorite cartridge of most poachers , light , fast and deadly. Remember , poachers are woods smart and know where there round is going to hit the target or they don't shoot.

I have had both the 22mag and the 22 hornet and about the only difference is one is a rim fire and the other ( hornet ) a center fire which is legal for taking deer. The Hornet has more punch to it but if it strikes a branch or anything else it will disintegrate. Plus the 22mag , per round , is a lot cheaper to shoot.

It's been about 50 years so I guess it is safe to tell you this.
The Hornet when shooting swimming gators will kill that Gator with one shot. Shooting at a low angle and if you happen to miss when the bullet huts the water it disintegrate and will not ricochet.

One group of hunters that I checked when I was working , had shot a 225 hog. That hog was hit with center fire cartridges , shotgun ( 12 ga ) and keep going. What finally dropped it was a guy on a stand with a 22mag , one shot and it was dead.

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the 22 Mag , it is a potent round. Most of the ranchers around here have a 22mag in there trucks for shooting hogs and armadillos. Both of those critters can destroy a pasture , the hogs root it up and the armadillos dig there holes so when a cow steps in it , it has a broken leg.

I have two handguns chambered for it which can be used for self defense or just plinking at cans. It saves on the cash over using a 357 mag when punching holes in cans.
When I hit the woods for recreation , most of the time , it is the 22mag pistol that goes with me. :D

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Catfish
Looks like a great hunt.
In the butcher shops around here they use a 22 short to kill the hogs. Placement is the key.
My personal favorite is the plain ole 22 long rifle ,it will kill anything in Texas with a well placed shot,cheaper than heck to shoot and accurate as they come.
I had a 2400 for a while 12 gauge over a 222, it was super accurate but I just didnt like the set up ,it need a good scope for the 222 and that messed with the sight plan on the shotgun.
Ron

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
jack you reccon sparky is refering to me to as one of those bad guys too(poachers) :wink: :shock: :lol: i didn,t know i was one i just deer hunt some with a magnum. :mrgreen: :shock:

yea ron it is all about placement with any gun especially the small calibers. yea if i had an over / under of some combination i would definatly need a scope on it . i never have had one but i could see where the scope would be aukward for the shotgun part. if i was younger iron sights would be ok guess i just have to stick with my combination for now.

jack by the way my wifes nephew killed a boar the other day in or near the city limts that went 400#,s. :shock: thats a whopper i didn,t see him so i don,t know if he might have been the russion boar?

mommicked

Nov 18, 2006
Coastal NC
Judging from the pics, I'd fit right in down your way. Hunting and fishing in the same day is just good stuff.

My son took his first deer this season with a .223, 55 grain softpoint, double lung. The blood trail was poor at best, but the deer didn't run any farther than it would have with a .30-06. I was asked to have him shoot the deer behind the shoulder so the land owner could train his tracking dog. We normally would have used a broadside high shoulder shot with that bullet. Drops em in their tracks, usually.

Several of the more notorious poachers round here like the .223 (cheap, slightly quieter) and the .22 Magnum (cheaper still, MUCH quieter, especially compared to a .30-06 or magnum). A few boys who run deer hounds used to use Mini 14 with 20 round mags....it was about the most inexpensive new automatic a fellow could buy back then.