Fish'n Carts.... | SouthernPaddler.com

Fish'n Carts....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Although the mizzus and I fish alot from the canoe, we still enjoy fishing from the North Pier Light on Erie or off piers and surf along the SE Coast. Kind of nice way to spend a day just mindlessly casting and day dreaming.
Looking at these to make it easier and reduce trips back and forth to the pickup.
Have seen these along the shores for some time now and it may be time to get one. Any one here have one?

http://tinyurl.com/679s45

http://tinyurl.com/59wjdd

http://tinyurl.com/5cflgm

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
I first saw one of these down in Florida at a bait shop on St Joseph Peninsula. Thought it was a great idea and put it on my wish-list. The thing is... if you can build a boat, you should be able to build a cart, right?

I haven't figured out how to put pictures on here, so just go to my Flickr.com account at-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30266997@N02/

The cart is made out of scraps of 1/4" BC pine, and of 1x poplar. The wheels are cheap high-wheel lawnmower wheels that I had laying around in the basement. The axel is 1/2" aluminum round stock that I got at Home Depot or Lowes. Some fender washers serve as thrust bearings, and the wheels are held on by stainless cotter pins.

The aluminum axel won't rust, neither will the plastic wheels, and the aluminum was easy to drill for the cotter pins.

Wheelbarrow type wheels would be superior. You can get them pretty cheap from places like Harbor freight. You can get all plastic, which won't rust. I'd go with no bearings because of sand, and because a loaded fishing cart isn't heavy enough to need wheel bearings.

I thought about making it stitch and glue, but it is all right angles, so I just ran strips of poplar to catch nails - what a boat builder would call "chine logs".

The handle could be a lot more graceful if I had it to do over again; I intended it to be removable for saving space in the truck, but that didn't prove to be important.

The rod holders need to be taller for surf rods, or else have a stop at the bottom to limit how far the handle goes. They work fine for fresh water rods, but the handle on a surf rod nearly drags the ground.

Now you have a project for your shop, which is way more fun than shopping, and cheaper, too.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
O.Y.

All the kids that fish the Urangan Pier in Hervey Bay (we call them Pier Rats) have something like that. - but home made. Some of them are works of art in their design and functionality. sort of like a mini cruiser - with wheels. Some are even made to tow behind their bicycles like trailers.

the pier is about 2 miles long, I think and these kids catch an amazing variety of fish at times.

Will take some piccies next time I am down that way.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Nice job binga......Some ideas now. Thanls Mick. It's for those lazy days in the summer.......Do nothing but sit N' Fish sipp'n a coolie. :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Oldyaker ....

I guess you need the cart to take your tackle and lunch , more so lunch then fishing tackle. If I may suggest .....for the fish get try a sandwich size Zip Lock. :lol:

Your Buddy and friend who has the utmost faith in your fishing abilities. :roll: :lol: :lol:

Chuckles.
PS. Looks like this sick spell is getting oldyaker ready for retirment , he sure is trying to stock up on the necessities for retirment. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Your Buddy and friend who has the utmost faith in your fishing abilities. :roll: :lol: :lol: Chuckles.
:D

Chuckles....I would strike out at fish mongers with 50 bucks in my hand! :(
Pat is the fisherman....I just cut bait.

Pat at North Pier Light (Lake Erie) and a fresh water drum.

Yep, Waiting to retire...... Getting odds and ends.....After this stock market crash, I may be waiting alot longer! :cry:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'll try to make this complimentary of Yakus Caritcus, so it won't get stricken.

Jimmie, you could get a motorized Hover Chair that will take your carcass out the pier, inflate an umbrella to keep you in the shade, a lemon squeezer on board to make lemonade, a hidden potty chair inside for those other urges you old men cannot withstand, and a GPS so you don't get lost on the dock.

No need for a speedometer or a governor on the steam boiler, just keep counting boards in the dock as they slide by, and divide by seven to convert it into KIAS in Roman numericals.

You will do a good job, I know it.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jackus Brillianticus! You are smart by golly. I don't have buy or build a cart! The TV commercials say I can get the hovaround chair for free or at very ltitle cost to me!!!! I like it! Now I need to get on their website and make sure they throw in the optional rod holders and beer cooler. You are a genius Jack! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Jackus Brillianticus! You are smart by golly. I don't have buy or build a cart! The TV commercials say I can get the hovaround chair for free or at very ltitle cost to me!!!!

Oldyaker ... Are you saying that you want one of those chairs like Jack has. :?: Shame on you , get the southern version that has 4 wheel drive. :lol:

Chuckles.