FlaMike's Pirogue DONE! (For right now, anyway.) | SouthernPaddler.com

FlaMike's Pirogue DONE! (For right now, anyway.)

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
For me, a boat without a name is unfinished.

For several days while the boat was near completion, I'd been holding on to a coin I came across, for no particular reason. I just couldn't spend it, I felt I had to keep it, but I wasn't sure why.

That's when the boat spoke to me, and told me her name!

Sacajawea.

Yes, that is the oldest spelling of her name that I know of, and the one I chose to use. From a little research on the Web:

"The Lemhi Shoshone call her Sacajawea. It is derived from the Shoshone word for her name, Saca tzah we yaa. In his Cash Book, William Clark spells Sacajawea with a “Jâ€Â

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Mike...
I think I can talk for all of us , OK , Some of us. :roll:

I wish some of us ( Old Goats) could of helped but it looks like by not helping it let you build a masterpiece for your enjoyment thanks to the rest of the guy's on here and there great advice.:D

Now since the old goats are lazy and don't do much , it looks like you will have to answerer a lot of questions when the next builder starts asking them.

I have all the faith in this world that when it happens you and the guy's will provide the proper answers while the rest ( did I say REST , Yes I did , Oooop's a slip up) of us ole goats * ( Farts , geezers , old timers . your choice on the term) are off into never , never land ( called Canada) paddling and camping ... having a BLAST. :D

Chuck.
* Ask a teenager about the age to be an old goat , he will say anyone over 20 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Aye God, Mikey - you did a bang up job! And I like your name for her - Sacajawea. Good!

If you read a bit, Lewis & Clark likely would not have made it without her help. Three times, as I remember, she either helped prevent, or removed danger from their path. Plucky lady. She was married, however, to a lazy lout, Charboneaux, I believe his name was. Lewis took her husband along only because he wouldn't let her go without him. It was a package deal or nothing. Lewis wisely took the deal. Notice, there's no coin memorializing him?

I ran across a sketcher last year in Canada. He would photograph the scenery, and go back to camp. His wife was drawing the stuff. Really neat.