flat head tornament | SouthernPaddler.com

flat head tornament

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Wayne County is having a flat head catfish rodeo this weekend. This is the second year . The county will put up about $9000 for heaviest of five fish. Flats,blue or channels. Also they will put up to two $ 50,000 for a state record. They will also put up to two $300,000 for a world record.

We have two state records here in Wayne.

It last about 24 hrs. My son & some friends is fishing in it. The biggest one ive caught was 44#,s about 16 yrs ago. I don,t hardly ever fish for them anymore. Had rather catch a blue anyday,more fight.

They ain,t nothing but a hog laying on the bottom waiting for dinner to come by. I wish they would cath all them out . They are putting a hurt on the schale fish especilly the redbrest. :x

So if you geezers got your piro down this way & need a little extra cash go for it.

Chuck you might could drum up some gas money on your way to tennesee. :) :lol: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

We hold the world record fer hoop net yellow cat.

Sorry. I jest caint git pichurs ta post on here. :cry:

regards
bearridge

My wife is such a bad cook, in my house we pray after the meal. Rodney Dangerfield

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Bear Forgot to mention one thing . There is one catch, you have to catch it by there rules. On a reel & rod. No nets , limb lines or dyomite. :lol:

One day a warden came up on a fisherman with a boat load of fish . He ask how he caught them, he said dyomite. That,s against the law ,you caint do that. The fisherman lit one & handed it to him & said you gonna write a ticket or fish. :D :lol: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Wannabe,

We set the nets tween where the Arkansas 'n the White Rivers dump inta the Mississippi. Lance's son Jeff tole everbody at the nail makin' plant where he worked how hiz Dad kin catch enuff yellow cat fer the company picnic. We hit a dry spell 'n lost one net....Lance blamed me. We threw the drag all afternoon but never found it. The 10 nets we found had only a few fish in 'em.

Two days before the picnic me, Lance, Jeff 'n two of hiz pals set out ta try one last time. All the yellow cat in the pichur wuz in the same net. Biggest wuz 75 pounds. Altogether they come in over 200 pounds. Musta been a fine lookin' female that led 'em inta the net. :mrgreen:

[I went back 'n edited the pichur cuz it wuz a thumbnail. I reckon I better put the thumbnail back up so the other fellas got some idea what we are talkin' bout.]

164414133dgFgWe_th.jpg

I seen ya know tows. Ever run the river tween Vicksburg 'n Memphis?

regards
bearridge

Roscoe: Howdy, my name’s Roscoe Brown. Is this Texas? I’m frum Arkansaw.
Ole Sam: Got any whiskey?
Roscoe: Yes sir, I got a bottle rite here in my poke. I’d be glad ta share it with you. Havin’ possum for yer supper are ya?
Ole Sam: Yeah, but you aint.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend cat,

Aint no law agin hoop nets, long az the mesh 'n the fish inside match up. I dont fish cept with hoop nets. I git bored eazy. :wink:

Yellow cat dont eat dead stuff off the bottom like the blue 'n channel cat. I wouldnt put a blue 'er channel cat frum the Mississippi in my mouth. Most folks dont have a hoop net fisherman ta bring 'em yellow cat, so they turn ta the farm raised catfish. Round here it iz bigger'n cotton now. It iz clean.

regards
bearridge

Bitch set me up. Marion Barry

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Bear your right they do have different eating habits. The flats don,t uasally eat anything but live fish.

I,m like chucky put a blue or channel in front of me & see what I do. Of course with some gritzs. :D :lol:

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Friend Bear.
Did most all my crew and tow boating up and down the Texas coast and some in La. Mostly in the Galveston Bay complex. Been about everywhere in the Bay that would float 5 to6 foot of draft (wern't a real big boat. 20x50 foot) would float and some places it wouldn't float. Looking t those fish, I would definately not mind going up there.
Bob

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish

Chew on this thought for a spell.

It is a fishing contest and a person can win some good money if the right fish gets on there hook. Heck a ton of the green stuff an it aint collards or turnips.

Now if the wrong (smaller) one gets on there hook then they still win because they will have a good supper or breakfast depending on the time of day.

Last and almost lease ....... They are out fishing and not at work , what could be better. Unless you are not normal and would rather be at work.
:?

Final....... If they get a bunch of good eating size ones then it is party time with friends , neighbors and anyone else in the area ..... commonly called a fish fry. .......YES.......Let the Good Times Roll:D

Chuck.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Final....... If they get a bunch of good eating size ones then it is party time with friends , neighbors and anyone else in the area ..... commonly called a fish fry. .......YES.......Let the Good Times Roll

Chucky, now ya talking my language mate. :D :D

Good luck in the comp Cat. Wish I could be there.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Son & friend came in 8th , Won $750.00 . Biggest one they had was 23 #,s. They like just a few pounds coming in 3rd place. They had a good time. One of my other friends took 1st place. he won ($6000) His fish weighed 63#,s.

That is alot of fish nuggets . Will be good with some gritsssssssss.