Flip Pac | SouthernPaddler.com

Flip Pac

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
hey Bear,
Have never slept in one but saw one in person at a campground somewhere here recently. Pretty nice! Only problem I saw was having to pack it up before driving off and also taking the boats off before set up.... If only my truck bed was 3 inches longer I think I could live in there :)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Back in the middle 80's a place out in Colorado ( Ft Collins) had something similar except it opened to the side. One trip out there I stopped and was going to get one for my truck.

The idiot I talked to by land line (before leaving Florida) quoted a price and it sounded nice so I made it out there to look at it in person and get one.
Yep they had a lot in stock .... NONE..... only a used one and the salesman on the showroom floor added a good third more to the price for a used one. Then I asked him how well it would hold up with a lot of use, he advised it was for weekends only a couple times a year and not everyday use, if I would use it everyday (30 day vacation) and then weekends when I was at home. They could not guarantee it.

You can guess where I told him to go. I sure hope this is made better then those were and have better people standing behind them.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friends Brad 'n Chuck,

Ya'll seen how she iz. Miz Bear tole me I better ask ya'll that if I knew what wuz good fer me. I dont figger a tall fella kin fit in one. She went out ta my truck with the tape measure. I reckon it may be time ta tie her out in the backyard agin.
1469.gif

thanks
bearridge

Convictions are more dangerous enemies of truth than lies. Friedrich Nietzsche

NeilJ

Nov 20, 2006
Alabama
I used to be a Toyota tech out west and a guy used to bring in his Tundra with one of these on. Several of us techs and some of the salesmen were pretty interested in it so he set it up for us. I was very impressed. It seemed very well built but it would be something to think about for that night time nature call. It set up very fast and I think it could be set up many times. If there was something that I did not care for it was that it was pretty boxy and utilitarian looking.
As for the shell Chuck was referring to I think that was called a "wildernest" I have only seen one of those and though it perhaps looked a little better (a little more rounded on the corners and the top of the shell was level with the cab of the pickup it was on) it did flip to the side and did not look to sturdy but I have never looked at one very closely. I just did a google search and one of the blogs said $3600 !!!! for the flippac. Seams like we should be able build one for a bit less than that.
[/quote]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Bear........ You might want to check this out .......... http://www.tent-trailer.com/ click on the one for trucks.

You go from this .............
truck3.jpg

to this...............
truck2.jpg

These are the guys who make to one I want to get for the Jeep , it is a trailer and weighs 255 pounds. Here is a cut away of what it is like inside the camper I want.

It looks like they took the one for the trailer and modified it to work in the back of a pickup truck...........

sideview.jpg

Chuck.

Johnny Swank

Mar 6, 2006
www.sourcetosea.net
Trailers

My ladyfriend's folks have a couple of those camping trailers for motorcycle camping. Those things are awesome! Hell, their "big" trailer is close to the size of some of the apartments I've lived in.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Trailers

Johnny Swank said:
My ladyfriend's folks have a couple of those camping trailers for motorcycle camping. Those things are awesome! Hell, their "big" trailer is close to the size of some of the apartments I've lived in.

That is there Excel model for vehicles or large cycles. Just perfect for behind a Jeep Wrangler. A nice big bed, a sitting room, plenty of head room, and lots of windows for ventilation. Plenty of locked storage space when it is closed and ready for the road, an aluminum roof rack and a totally sealed fiberglass body.

All of that at 255 pounds. I almost bought one last year when I was looking at them and since I have to be in Canada this year I plan on getting one for the trip since after the kids wedding I will be exploring Canada, paddling and having some fun for 30 to 45 days.

Have it behind the Jeep, with the boat on top of the jeeps roof rack, the camper behind it and when it is time to relax then pull in, set up camp in no time and get comfortable.
I am thinking the little trailer will not cost me anything when towing it down the road, no weight and no air drag in the slip stream behind the jeep but all of the comfort a person would want.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan

oldsparkey said:
...I am thinking the little trailer will not cost me anything when towing it down the road, no weight and no air drag in the slip stream behind the jeep ...
Work it right, Chuck - trailer leaning forward with tongue lower than the tail end - and it will push the Jeep down the road. Probably can turn the engine off on the flats, if there isn't a head wind.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com

Kayak Jack said:
oldsparkey said:
...I am thinking the little trailer will not cost me anything when towing it down the road, no weight and no air drag in the slip stream behind the jeep ...
Work it right, Chuck - trailer leaning forward with tongue lower than the tail end - and it will push the Jeep down the road. Probably can turn the engine off on the flats, if there isn't a head wind.

I will find out ..... I just placed an order for one of the trailers with a couple of options and it will be here in January. This old fart will be camping in comfort on that September trip while on the road and just out exploring , 4 wheeling around and getting lost in Canada. I intend to take several wrong turns when I am up there , you might call them side trips. :D

When paddling and on the water then the hammock.
Jack , you will have to rough it like me out on the water...... If you want to call sleeping in the hammock as roughing it. :lol:

Chuck.