Florida Springs and Chattooga with the kids | SouthernPaddler.com

Florida Springs and Chattooga with the kids

wrhester

Just sharing a few pics from our family trip to Florida and our Chattooga day from a couple weeks ago.
Kids had their new boats so the wife and I decided to leave the rivers of NC and see what Florida had to offer. My daughter and wife wanted to see manatee so we headed to the Rainbow River and Homosassa area. The wife grew up in Florida but hadn't been back in many years. She remembered a place that she thought was on the Crystal. It was a hotel/fishing resort complex that had an island with monkeys on it. We finally found it on the Homosassa and had a great afternoon and evening there. Found Stone Crab just off the boat for $8 a pound..large size. Paddled a couple hours at Chassahowitzka Springs and really enjoyed the scenery and sites. My daughter was a little afraid of the gators and such, but it was all in her head. Being it was a new, strange place and too much animal planet features on gators and the like, I think her imagination was just a little overworked.
The next day we headed to Rainbow Springs. Our friend has a house on the river and wow, were we impressed. Absolutely beautiful! Never knew that Florida had something like this. Clearer than the Nantahala. One funny story was my wife took her snorkeling mask. She would roll upside down and just look around as she drifted along. On one such immersion, a couple college kids were floating by and my wife was behind me. They saw her upside down and wtih a panic look in their eye started pointing and saying, "sir...your daughter flipped....SIR...YOUR DAUGHTER IS UPSIDE DOWN!" I didn't say anything and just kept looking at them get more worried and more frantic, but I was definitely enjoying the show. I kept looking at them knowing that she would roll up any moment. She rolled and the look on their face was hilarious. First confusion, then the sheepish grin and laugh told me they knew I was messin with them. My wife thought it was funny that they thought she was my daughter.
We paddled the couple hours or so to the house and really had a great experience. My daughter got over her gator issues and both kids paddled great.
A couple weeks ago we headed to the river where I met my wife. I was managing the NOC outpost there and she was training. I'll let you figure out the rest. Brought the kids and their boats to section II. Its a fairly easy going section of about 8 miles and the water level was perfect. The weather couldn't have been better either. Kids were thrilled with the trip and had a blast going through the many small rapids and ledges. When my wife and I had kids, this was the day we envisioned with them. They paddled strong and laughed their way down the river.
Click on the pic and it should bring you to a slide show of all the pics

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Good on ya, friend. I'm proud when I learn - and can perform - a new skill. I'm even more proud when someone I helped learn how, can now do a new skill. Involve the kids in these activities, and you won't have to worry about them snorting stuff up their nose that hey shouldn't be. It's only critical.

wrhester

Bear...here's the albums from Section II and another from last year when we took duckies (thanks to your friend James Jackson who loaned em to us) down Section III from Earls to Sandy. Enjoy
Section II
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u259 ... pril%2009/
There's a cute video of Callie, my daughter running through one of the small rapids there.

Section III
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u259 ... II%202008/

Notice the fun the wife and daughter had at Dicks Creek. Daughter smiling like crazy...wife? Not so much.
enjoy

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Thanks. I woulda asked if ya had any Section III pichurs, but didnt think of it. Did ya'll put in at Earl's 'n take out at Sandy Bottom? What water level? I talked with Action Jackson last week. He finished up mailin' a heap a letters ta folks, then went down ta measure the Tuck fer me 'n Swamprat.....sez it wuz "okay". Without a dang drop frum Duke Power, the water wuz the highest I ever seen it......best time ever.

wrhester

yep, put in at Earls and took out at Sandy. One of the best days of paddling the family has had. The wife said, "when I had kids, this is the day that I imagined".
Don't know if the rains have stopped since it's cloudy again today, but it sure has filled Fontana and made the river folk happy.