Food Dehydration | SouthernPaddler.com

Food Dehydration

Aardvark

Was at Wally World last night, and saw these food dehydrators for $15. Thought to myself, "Self-make your own jerky!"; so I got one.

Anybody have any recipes?

I love dried fruit, so thats gonna be tried out.

Gritz?

NAH!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Art

I do fruits and veggies, I get my jerky from the neighbor he always has a batch going. We trade items. :D
Jack has done some jerky, I think. :?

If you want to put your drier to work then I would suggest that you locate a copy of Teresa Marrone's book the Back Country Kitchen by Northern Trail Press P.O. Box 19296 Minneapolis, MN 55419-9296.

She covers everything about drying all the foods for camping and has a lot of good Recipes in it for camping.
The two I have listed here are just examples of what she has in the book. My copy cost me $14.95 and is worth every penney.

Chuck.

This is called Easy Jerky.
From Teresa Marrone's Book The Back-Country Kitchen

1 1/2 pounds boneless beef or venison
Beer-B-Que Jerky marinade or spicy Teriyaki Jerky marinade ...* see how to make at the end of the instructions.
2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring

Remove fat and gristle from the meat. Slice with the grain into 1/8 in thick strips (meat is easier to cut if partially frozen) Combine all of the marinade ingredients and liquid smoke in a nonmetallic bowel, stir to mix. Add meat. Cover with plastic wrap and stick in the frig overnight. Then drain the meat. pat with paper towels and arrange the meat strips on the dryer racks so the pieces do not touch each other. Dry at 120 F until jerky is leathery but still pliable, 3 to 5 hours.
Keep jerky refrigerated for long term storage.

Beer-B-Que Marinade
1 cup BBQ sauce
1 cup beer
2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
1 teaspoon black pepper.
Mix all of it in a NON Metallic bowl.

Spicy Teriyaki Jerky marinade
1/3 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup pineapple juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick salt
1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
2 tablespoons crushed dried hot peppers.
Mix everything in a NON metallic bowl.

A

Anonymous

Friend Art,

Here iz one closer to what I eat (soy sauce 'n some "bam"). Type in a recipe search for "jerky", look at the one frum Emeril.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

regards,

bearridge
bodine culinary institute

I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde