Food Ideas?? | SouthernPaddler.com

Food Ideas??

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Hi Everyone!! I remember 30 plus years ago when I was a young pup there wern't many options for camping/backpacking foods other than freeze dried prepackaged meals. What new modern off the shelf dried/dehydrated/freezedried/vaccum sealed ingredients do you guys/gals use from the grocery store for putting together your own delicious lightweight meals?? THANKS!! KAHUNA

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

I guess the #1 item would be any of the Lipton packages, rice or noodles.

#2. Would be from Knorr , like there Bow Tie Pasta & Beans with Herb Sauce.

Then the Simmer 'N Serve, Wild Rice Soup by Gourmet House. Another good soup mix is the Alessi Traditional Lenticchie Sicilian Lentil Soup, they have three different bean soup mixes and are quite good.

For Potatoes the Idaho Brand has some nice individual packs that only need water and you can have Garlic Potatoes, Cheese and a variety of others.

If you have a bakepacker (Or a steamer like Kayak Jack uses) then you can do the Bisquick Complete Buttermilk Biscuits or the Martha White Buttermilk Cornbread. Or the Krusteaz (Bread machine mix) Italian Herb Bread Mix. :wink:

Hungry Jack pancake mix is quite good but only comes in a large box ...individual amounts (the amount you would use for one meal) need to be zip locked. This way mark the bag with the amount of water needed and at camp add the water to the bag and mix it up in the bag, Now cut a corner of the bag and squeeze out the batter into the pan for each cake. I did that on the Okefenokee trip and it keeps the clean up down.

The best thing I can suggest is to go to the grocery store and just dig around in the sections that you like and look for the packages that only require water to be added to the mix and there are a lot of them. I could list more if I went to the store but right now I am just using my worn out memory.

For the exotic I get those from Jean (Adventure Foods) ...like Feta, Walnuts & Chives Luncheon Spread, Cranberry Walnut Chicken Supper and the Sausage & Cheese Breakfast Casserole, Ham and Cheese Omelet. Sometimes a person just has to spoil themselves. :? Then there is the mud Pie.

Use your imagination. Cooking is nothing more then imagination and good taste. :D
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kahuna

I really did not mean to monopolize your post but you hit on my favorite thing (besides boats) eating good chow and NO .... Jean does pay me a commission, as you know when I believe in something then I tell the world. If I don't like it then I also do the same thing.
As Andrew likes to say ...... Chuck all of your posts (replies) end up with food of some type in them. Grits forever. Just had to do it

As swampy said in his one post about the bakepacker.
"At the risk of sounding to familar to Sparkey , I've got to pass on last night's cornbread baked in the Bake Packer. Yes , I are a hillbilly, but an educated one! I made it through the 3rd grade in NORTHERN schools!
Sooooo I ain't overly fond of certain triditional southern grub... like cornbread, gritz, homeny gritz... but I want to tell you that the cornbread last night was delicious!!! made from "Jiffy" mix it was sweet and yum - yumy. It now ranks up there with sourdough bread.
This contraption is super! Will open the doors up on some fine dinning in the woods.
swampy ".

You might want to take a look at one or contact Jean (members section) and ask her , Now I have to warn you ...... She published a compleat cook book , The Bakepacker's Companion , it is full of all sorts of yummy items you can get from the grocery store , for just cooking in the bakepacker. You can use the dried items from the grocery store and combine them into some really delicious meals this way.
Like Calzone but only if you like things like that. :roll:

1 package pizza crust mix, pizza or spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni, green pepper or onion, Mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese, and olives along with 1/2 cup of warm water. :p

Send her an e-mail and tell Jean & Sam ....... HI for me.

Another Recipe book that is for "Camp Cooking for Canoeists, Hikers, and Anglers " that you might want is the one by Teresa Marrone , it is titled The Back Country Kitchen and she even tells you how to dehydrate all of the foods.

If you don't want to dry your own meat and the rest then Jean has them also.

Where do you think Jack and I get all of our ideas about good food. ( we dream up some of our own and even have used some of yours) :D Between the two cook books and some imignation you would gain weight. A good reason to paddle more .... lose the weight. :oops:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) ... but I want to tell you that the cornbread last night was delicious!!! made from "Jiffy" mix it was sweet and yum - yumy.(SNIP) Chuck.
Swampy, Kahuna, Chuck, and any other person on this net who can read. Take a look at the label on the Jiffy Mix package. Where was it made?? A little burg here in Michigan (home of the Au Sable River, Verlen Kruger, Jeff Daniels, and Kayak Jack). Chelsea, Michigan is where Jiffy mixes have been made since back before dirt. Jeff Daniels (movie-type star) is from there too and owns a nice restaurant there (Purple Onion).

I've made corn bread from mixes for a long time. Add onions, jalapenos, garlic, cumin, fresh cilantro, and chunks of cheese. JARVIS good eating!! Of course, if you add all those things, you will have to wash it down with cold sudsy stuff. Too bad, ehh?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Don't you mean Jack Daniel's ....OOOOP'S that is from Tennessee and the cornbread I like (cause all you add is water) is Martha White's, Cotton Picking Good Buttermilk Cornbread mix. (Jackson Tenn)
Hot Dog ... it looks like all of the good stuff comes from Tennessey. Trust us Southeners for the good eats. :p

Yes, some Jack Daniel's is good with it but a BIG Glass of Ice tea is better when the cornbread is hot. The Jack Daniel's is for that evening with the left overs ....If there is any, cornbread that is. :lol: :lol:

Now .... Jack , one of these day's, we have to get serious about Grits, ya know the southern version of your Yankee potatoes ..... but a lot better then the spuds. Heck they call dogs called Spuds, never have heard of one called Grit's.

I guess no one wants to demeanor the lovely, tasty, honorable, righteous, respectable, proud and grand GRIT. GRITS FOREVER , GO GRITS :wink: . Grits .. 36 ..Potatoes .. 0.
Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeff Daniels

Speak'n of Jeff Daniels, all of you outdoor hunter, fisherman, camping types. If your in the video rental store , pick up a movie "ESCANABA IN DA MOONLIGHT" with Jeff Daniels. It's about a deer camp in the U.P. of Michigan. It's good for a laugh and if you have ever spent time in a deer camp with some whacko's, it's even funnier.