Freezer Bag Cooking | SouthernPaddler.com

Freezer Bag Cooking

Nockatee

Nov 21, 2008
Tryon, NC
While waiting on some resin to set, here I sit drooling, looking at all these baudacious recipes, with my belly growling.
To the wife's dismay, the old man may be messing in her kitchen.

Some of you may already have seen this site, but I was intrigued with the method of cooking and food prep.

http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

The sidebar navigates you through many interesting ways to eat on the trail or river. Looks better than my "Dinty Moore" dinners! :wink:

Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was digging around on the web looking for easy camping meats but some that would have a good flavor. Checking out ideas for sort of a dried meals without using a dryer I found the one you suggested. http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/ Plus you can increase of decrease the recipe by clicking on that area they have. Click on the Read More under the picture they have. :D

1...Figured that the noodles could be replaced with two packs or the Ramen noodles for a quicker cooking time.
2...Use a can of the Tuna in Olive Oil so you can skip taking the oil the recipe calls for.
3...A snack bag with the spices in it and a gallon bag to mix everything up in.
4...A tasty meal with little clean up.
5...Hang the garbage bag near your buddies tent when in bear country. ( The Tuna can smell)
************************************************************************************************************************************************
From there web site........
Spicy Tuna Linguine
Wed, 09/08/2010 - 13:31 — Sarah

Italian inspired one pot pasta
Ingredients

* 8 oz linguine pasta
* 1⁄2 t granulated garlic
* 1⁄4 t red pepper flakes
* 1⁄4 t ground black pepper
* 1⁄4 t dried oregano
* 2 T extra virgin olive oil (2 packets)
* 3 oz albacore tuna pouch
* 2 T dry bread crumbs
* 2 T shelf stable parmesan cheese

Instructions

At home:
Break the pasta in half and pack in a sandwich bag. In a snack size bag pack the seasoning blend. In a second snack bag combine the bread crumbs and cheese. Tuck in the oil packets and tuna pouch.

In camp:
Add the oil to the snack bag with the seasoning, seal the bag and gently massage the bag to combine. Let sit while you prepare the pasta.
Bring 4 cups water to a boil, add in the pasta and cook for time on package, around 9 minutes. Reserve a little of the pasta water, drain off the rest.
Toss the pasta with the tuna and flavored oil, toss again with the breadcrumb mixture. Add reserved water as needed to coat the pasta.
Notes

This recipe is one of our "Recipe Re-Do's". The original recipe called for a pouch of tuna in oil. While I often use small cans of tuna packed in olive oil I have never come across it in pouches. If any of our readers have found this please let us know. Albacore pouches though are easy to find, nearly all stores carry them.

Instead of heating up the oil and spices at the end in the pot we let them infuse while the pasta cooked. To save a dirty pot by all means after cooking the pasta you can toss everything together in a new gallon size freezer bag.

We added in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese at the end give the pasta a great coating and 'finish' the meal. We used plain, Italian flavor would also be great: http://www.progressofoods.com/?View=OurProducts_Foods

Nutritional stats per serving, recipe makes two servings (based on products we used):
637 calories, 19.5 grams fat, 26 grams protein, 4.5 grams fiber.

Picture is from ... http://www.trailcooking.com
tunapasta.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
On several trips I have used the Zip Lock Bags to make pancakes with.

Using the prepacked mix that all you do is add water to it. Premeasure the mix in a zip lock , on the outside wright how much water is needed on it.

In camp add the water , close it up and mush the mixture around till it is mixed to the consistency you want. When it is right and the pan is hot clip off one corner ( not a lot just a small area ) and then using it squeeze out the amount you want and set the bag aside while that pancake cooks. When it is done remove it from the pan and do another.

The guys thought I had lost my mind when I 1st did that and after then a lot of them are doing it when camping. A no fuss , no muss way to have a good breakfast. You can have fruit with it if you want .. just put the fruit in the pan and add the pancake mix over the top of it. Start on the outside and ring the fruit then move the batter over it into the center or everything will fan out on you , if you don't want a large pancake. :D

No Syrup :shock: Then use some jelly , I like Grape or Orange Marmalade on the pancakes. If you are going solo some left over pancakes make a good noon time snack. If you are with a group there won't be any left overs , that is a fact. :wink:

Chuck.
PS. Grape Jelly on saltine crackers make a good camp snack when you want something sweet and crunchy , peanut putter on them with the jelly does not hurt anything.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A couple of variations to that worked for me. I substituted a can of white meat chicken for tuna (for a VASTLY better taste!) and I wrap broken noodles/spaghetti/pasta in paper towel inside a plastic bag. Sharp edges were puncturing my plastic bags.

Simple variations of a dish like this (various dried veggies, spices, dried mushrooms, meats, fresh onion, garlic, etc.) can make almost a week's worth of dinners. Especially when accompanied by a fruitcup or two; fresh slaw made from shredded cabbage, onions, carrots, lemon juice & oil; can provide a wider variety with simplicity. Some evening, try popcorn as a dessert.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Yep , it can be modified with what ever you like. It's all up to what the cook likes and all of us have different likes and dislikes.

Pop Corn is a treat when out camping and we have something down here that makes it really simple ...

Jiffy Pop. It's in it's own popper. The top of it rises and expands to the occasion as it pops , the aroma is intoxicating , the sound and smell is seductive and soothing while the anticipation of that last POP is righteously anticipated which is so slow and seams to take forever to arrive , the minutes turn into days , till it arrives with that final ....POP
After that awaited climax and celebration of the last POP ,It is ready ( where is that smiley face jumping up and down ? ).
Now it is time to slowly peal the top back and get ready since you know there is a sinful pleasure waiting for you as you slowly eat each kernel ( one at a time ) while it is hot and buttery , some folks even lick there fingers in this process. ( Dam , you are camping , why rush things , take all of it slow and with pleasure , make the moment last when it is gone it is gone )
Very few people can just enjoy it slow and easy most rush threw it like a pack of Panting , Starving , Hyenas and then come back looking for more. :twisted:

If you want to enjoy it all by yourself make sure there is no one camping in a mile of you , especially down wind. :wink:
Just one more item that only requires it's own container to cook in making for less mess when cleaning up.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I cleaned up some posts on here since they were getting to the ridicules stage and had nothing or very little to do with the subject matter , some I even posted when answering them.
Will continue to do the same in other posts when I see it , especially if it does not pertain to the subject at hand. In this case Cooking With Freezer Bags or even using them as an aid in cooking or storage of that food. :D.

Manjimike

Jun 18, 2007
Manjimup, West Australia
I've been using the FBC method since 2003 when hiking and have introduced it my Venturer Scouts - they make their own cosies along with the pepsi can stoves.
I think they like the idea of no washing dishes and using half the fuel for cooking.

Cheers Mike

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Manjimike said:
I've been using the FBC method since 2003 when hiking and have introduced it my Venturer Scouts - they make their own cosies along with the pepsi can stoves.
I think they like the idea of no washing dishes and using half the fuel for cooking.

Cheers Mike

I have been making the Pepsi can stoves for friends but they are made from the 24 oz Budweiser cans. Naturally I have to empty the cans before making the stoves for them but no sacrifice is to great when helping friends. :wink:

That is the great thing about the zip lock cooking , easy and no clean up. If you do it right all you do is to boil some water in a pot and then go from there by adding it to the bag. Or in-case of the noodles , cooking them in a pot and then making supper in the bag.