Fried Rice to Celebrate the Chinese New Year. | SouthernPaddler.com

Fried Rice to Celebrate the Chinese New Year.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
To help celebrate the Chinese New Year.........

Fried Rice 101
From Southern Living

Prep: 10 min., Cook: 10 min.

3 tablespoons oil, divided
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1 cup chopped cooked meat, poultry, or shrimp
1/2 cup frozen sweet green peas
3 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon chili-garlic sauce
Sliced green onions (optional)
Chopped almonds (optional)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add eggs, and gently stir 1 minute or until softly scrambled. Rremove eggs from skillet; chop and set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet; add onion and bell pepper, and stir-fry 3 minutes. Add chopped cooked meat, poultry, or shrimp and peas; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add rice, soy sauce, and chili-garlic sauce; stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in scrambled eggs; sprinkle with green onions and almonds, if desired.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Ya have to hold the skillet sideways to do this, don'tchya?

Skillet ?????? Honestly Jack , Ya Wok it.

Ya do have a Wok , Don't you.
If not then wok down to the store and get yourself a wok and some bamboo utensil's to use with it.

They said skillet because it was from Southern Living and all southerners think of anything you cook stuff in as a skillet , even if it is not cast iron and with high sides without a real handle and can double as a helmet.

Chuck
PS. I bet you could substitute grits for the rice if you lived in south china.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

I went ta the kitchen fer somethin' (caint recall what now) when fried rice flung a cravin' on me. I pulled out the Black 'n Decker 'n fired it up. Fried rice iz purty dang eazy. Miz Bear haz some of the little green peas in the ice box, which iz one of my favorites in fried rice.

I dont know what else will go in it, cept fer some wild garlic, onion, eggs, olive oil 'n Zatarains. I mix a bit of wild rice in with the long grain brown. Wish I had some cashew pieces. :cry:

namaste
lo mein

Ah, yes, divorce, from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. Robin Williams

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
A caveat. The "cooked rice" should be previously cooked and cooled. Should not go in hot.

A variant. I add the eggs last, stirring them briskly into the hot, cooked mess. They cook readily form the hot food, and help bind it together. (That's the way my friend, Kaneko, a Japanese restaurant, owner taught me to do it.)