Friendship Hill National Historic Site... | SouthernPaddler.com

Friendship Hill National Historic Site...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Today we had a promise of Spring with 50 degree weather. Mizzus Yak suggested we hike one of our favorite places, Friendship Hill National Historic Site. It's located in a remote area on PA's Southern Border. It was owned by Albert Gallatin who served as Secretary of the Treasury for Presidents Jefferson and Madison. He also arranged the financing of the Louisiana Purchase and the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
http://www.nps.gov/archive/frhi/home.htm

T

He and his family owned this property from the late 1700's and into the early 1800's. It's beautiful and in a remote area, one heck of a place to live. I could handle it.

The house sits on a high bluff and the rear view overlooks the Monongahela River...It was the way West for many wanting to start a new l life. Not too far from here was the Snowden Boat Works. It was a shipyard that built many Federal Ironclads during the Civil War. Also of note...Captain Henry Shreve sailed past here with much needed supplies
needed in Louisiana during the War of 1812. Shreveport, Louisiana is supposed to be named after him.

This is a view of the rear of the house that overlooks the river. Arlington House in in DC, which is Robert E Lee's old home is being repaired. It's about 5 hours drive from here. All of his furniture is being displayed in Gallatin's home while the work on Arlington is being done.

The property has numerous hiking trails. Here is Mizzus Yak hiking past Sophias grave. Al was only married to her a few months when she passed away.

Mizzus Yak on the lower trail under the bluff. She is checking out the numerous Canadian geese on the rivers edge.

One of the numerous water falls that cascades down the bluff.

We have had alot of rain this winter and one of our trails was washed out. I sent Mizzus Yak ahead to ford thru it but she refused and we had to detour.

It was a fine hiking day and was topped off by a fine Italian meal at one of our favorite places on the drive home. Spring is not far off....

Friendship Hill National Historic Site
Preview: On a bluff overlooking the Monongahela River sits the country manor of Albert Gallatin, a Swiss immigrant who played a key role in this nation’s early adventure into democratic rule. He served as secretary of the treasury under Presidents Jefferson and Madison, and he secured funding for both the Louisiana Purchase in 1803 and the Lewis and Clark expedition, 1804 to 1806. Lewis and Clark honored him in naming the three forks of the Missouri River. They are the Jefferson, Madison, and Gallatin Rivers; all flow through Montana. When Gallatin built this home at Friendship Hill in 1789, it overlooked the edge of the untried western frontier and what Gallatin hoped would be a corridor to prosperity. The Monongahela drains to the Ohio Riverâ€â€

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Well, 'yaker, if dem's the kinda places ya goes when ya's borrows da truck, I be figgerin I shoulda let ya have dem keys a long time ago, lad. :lol:

Beautiful pics, my friend. Number 2 son is living in Lancaster, PA now. Guess I'll just have to make me a road trip up there to visit with him so I can have an excuse to see places like that while I'm there. (Dang, an' I done thought I'd see'd th' last o' 'im, too...... s'what I git fer hopin' I reckon....:lol: :lol: )

Steve

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Yak,
If Dad is going to give you the truck again, I'll drive and you can take the pictures. Come to think of it lets let Dad come along with his big box on a tripod camera and let him take the pictures. Wait a minit. His truck, his camera. Whats he need us for. Maby he'll let us open his beers for him. I'm gonna be quiet now. Every time I go thinking, we get demoted.
Bob

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

What a fine tale....with good pichurs 'n a river! Kin ya pitch a tent out behind the house...along the river? Mebbe if ya wuz a re-enactor?

regards
bearridge

Josey Wales: You a bounty hunter?
Bounty Hunter: A man has to do something these days to earn a living.
Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living boy.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hey Pops! Give Bob the keys and you let him drive you up here to visit number 2 son in Lancaster! Bring yer camp'n and paddl'n accoutrements with ya! You need to pass right by my homestead to and from Texas to get to Lancaster. I'll take ya on a little paddle trip down this river! We'll camp over one night and let the sound of this beauty put ya ta sleep. The smallmouth bass jump into your boat on this river!

That's Mizzus Yak try'n for a walleye hiding out in the weed bed.

This is a great place to camp for the night. Unless a train uses the track on the other side.

My local piece of heaven...Stop by and we'll paddle!

Mizzus Yak with a beautiful Rainbow Trout this past May!

Notice the high end Zebco rod N' reel she uses. She has caught more fish on it than most catch with 300 dollar units!

I tole Miz Yak one time....."If ya die and are traveling ta heaven......this is how I want ta git there...."

Jack you are a kind Gentleman(I won't tell anyone!) And William....It's so wonderful to see you at home and back on the forum. You were greatly missed!

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Wannabe said:
Yak, Kinda looks like her job is fishing and your job is paddling her around and taking pictures. Bob

Bob....I dun tole Miz Yak what ya said..........She said to tell you that we are slaves to our wimmen ......Dey is da Queens. It's every mans job ta serve his Queen! :( :cry: :cry:

I'm just happy she ain't dun made me a eunuch yet! :shock:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Kayak Jack said:
oldyaker said:
... I'm just happy she ain't dun made me a eunuch yet! :shock:
So were the sea cows at Outhouse Key.

Yep....I had one so excited she forgot these.......
GLADES%20130.jpg

Heck of a man! :wink:

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
I was thinking of going to Wally world and buy a pair of the largest they had as a OL FART banner to warn the others to stay away. Lead boat could fly it as a warning flag to the fly fisherman to clear a path for the flotilla.