Fry Me a River | SouthernPaddler.com

Fry Me a River

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Fellas,

Some a ya'll mite have seen Ole Alton Brown ridin' hiz motorcikle across America, eatin' some good eats? Well, at 7 pm central on the Food Channel, he takes hiz show on the Big Muddy. It mite have some good eats 'n good river pichurs.

regards
bearridge

There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it.  Cicero

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The first one started off in Acadia....where Alton crushed some sasafrass leaves in a big wood bowl, then headed up the Blues Highway 61 ta Lorman 'n then Natchez. If ya missed it they will likely show it agin. Dang funny fer a cookin' show.

At then end they come ta Greenville, with Miz Clara at Jim's Cafe downtown.....a place I dont go these days without my SP 101.

I seen a glimpse of the next one.....Saturday 8 pm. One of the pichurs wuz that 30' canoe I been tellin' ya'll the fella runs up 'n down the river a few miles above where I scoffed....later paddled. That likely means Clarksdale will likely be in the next show.

In Clarksdale he likely caint pass up a cafe owned by an ole pal of mine, Bill Luckett 'n Ned Logan. I wondered if he would stop in my hometown where they are changin' Main St. ta Joe Pope St. this Saturday. Joe made fine hot tamales. Hiz White Front Cafe iz on the hot tamale/blues tour circuit.

I doubt they went there, but the Scenic Highway #1 "The Great River Road" would have been a fine motorcikle ride. If he stayed on the Blues Highway, he mite have stopped at Crawdads in Merigold 'er Bogga Bottom's.......if Bogga Bottom's iz still open. If he wanted barbecue, in Clarksdale he would eat at Abe's, not the high dollar cafes.

regards
bearridge

ps This iz bound ta end in Memphis, at Interstate Barbecue, but Memphis haz so many good cafes, yer bound ta find one that ya like.

To be conservative at 20 is heartless and to be a liberal at 60 is plain idiocy.  Sir Winston Churchill

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Danged if Alton didnt come up the Great River Road ta my hometown. Before he left Greenville, he stopped by Doe's Eat Place. http://www.doeseatplace.com/ oldyaker, Doe iz Dominic....Italian fer sho. The steaks caint be beat....no where, but hiz hot tamales make ya wanna slap ya Momma.

I ate at both, but it haz been 10 years since the democrats took over. Ya gotta hire a fella ta watch yer wheels nowadays.

After they left Greenville, they drove up ta Joe Pope's White Front Cafe in Rosedale. http://www.tamaletrail.com/in_memoriam.shtml Joe died in 2004. Hiz sister, Barbara, come back frum Chicago 'n he give her hiz hot tamale recipe az he lay dyin'. Hiz cafe iz on the hot tamale trail. I been eatin' hiz tamales fer 40 years.

I'm typin' while Alton iz talkin' ta a woman in Helena, Arkansaw. I'm bettin' he iz headed fer Brinkley 'n that barbecue cafe jest off I-40. This iz on the edge of the area where Gene discovered of the Ivory Bill Woodpecker which folks figgered went like the Do Do. Gene spotted one near Brinkley 'n set the ornithological world on end.

Mebbe Alton aint headed that way.....lemme git back ta the show. Opps....they turnt back ta Memphis. I still got my money on Interstate Barbecue. Well.....I am thru....he missed Memphis....headed north.

regards
bearridge

ps Opps...I wuz typin'. They are still in Memphis. Who knows where they are headed next.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority.  It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern.  They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.  Daniel Webster

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
ps My hometown had a celebration today. They renamed "Main St." "Joe Pope St.". I drove over early this mornin', but I wuz jest takin' some combine parts ta my brother who wuz in a tight.

Missed out on the speeches 'n the video.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Miz Bear 'n me stopped ta pick up 3 doz. tamales 'n a strawberry pickle last Friday. I asked Barbara bout Alton Brown 'n hiz gang, but she dont watch the Food Network 'n jest figgered it wuz some silly guys on motorsickles. Gone but not fergot. :cry:

October 03, 2007

Historic tamale place burns

Sara Coleman
BC Staff Writer
Published October 03, 2007 2:21 PM CDT

Just a month-and-a-half since the late legendary hot tamale-maker Joe Pope was honored by having the city’s main street named after him, his historic and beloved White Front Cafe went up in flames Tuesday afternoon. The cafe, also known as Joe’s Hot Tamale Place, caught fire around 1 p.m.

Joe’s sister, Barbara Pope, who has operated and cooked up the famous hot tamales since Joe died in 2004 at the age of 80, was inside rolling up the next day’s batch.

“I was here. We were here cooking â€â€

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
beerfridge said:
Miz Beer 'n me stopped ta pick up 3 doz. tamales 'n a strawberry pickle last Friday.

How was that pickle?

For those who didn't see the show, they take a packet of strawberry kool-aid and dump it in a jar full of dill pickles, after a while the pickles kinda have the color of pickled beets (maybe not such a deep red) and people eat 'em.

The look of a strawberry pickle just looks not right. :lol:

DM

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The look was off.....like Edgar Winter pickles. I asked Barbara who come up with the idea. She had no idea. She lived in Chicago until Joe was on his death bed. She came down, he whispered his cookin' secrets in her ear and died. Too much drama? Well, it could have been that way. :wink:

They tasted a lot like those big dill pickles in plastic we used ta pay a dime fer. Now they are $.75 at the White Front Cafe. There wuz a hint of strawberry Kool Aid. I wonder how many they sell. I dont figger none of them Iron Chefs will be usin' pink pickles. Hmmmm.....mebbe they will....sounds kinda like a San Francisco band. :mrgreen: